Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11

I for one was hoping that Kodak would enter the dslr market or at least continue the evolution of the P series.
Neither happened , so when I moved up to dslr, I chose Sony as I also had a few usable Minolta lens lying about.
No regrets there, the Sony A-700 is a great camera and the price is coming down.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:43 PM   #12

Hello Flying Fossil-

No, Kodak never made the leap to DSLR cameras, I am sorry to say. However, Sony has become as excellent choice both in the A-700 and A-900 models. Thanks for posting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
Friends bought a Kodak V550 several years ago on my recommendation. They keep the camera in the cradle, so they never go off with a low battery. They just push a button on the cradle and the EasyShare software makes a folder titled with the date and downloads the photos into it. It has taken very good photos for them, and since they never crop or make large prints it is still as good as anything they could buy for their use.

My only complaint with their camera and Kodak in general is the proprietary nature of EasyShare. Easyshare blocks normal PTP operations so that you can only access the camera through EasyShare. EasyShare will not let you move photos back to the camera for processing, which is the easiest way for a non-computer person to sort and print their photos. It seems Kodak wants you to establish an account and have Kodak print the photos and send them to you.

It is probably for that same reason they bury the photos deep in Documents and Settings so the user can only access them through EasyShare. I moved their photos to My Pictures and set EasyShare to put new downloads there. They also got a card reader so they could put photos on the card for printing. More hassle than was necessary IMO.

You can uninstall EasyShare and most Kodak cameras become normal PTP cameras – but not all Kodak cameras. They are the only major company that has made non-PTP cameras in the past five years or so. I would be reluctant to recommend a Kodak camera to someone unless I was sure it was PTP. I also think a normal user of another brand has a more useable setup using normal PTP operations and a program like Picasa. Once a Kodak buyer installs EasyShare they have what I consider a stunted photo system.

I wish Kodak well. I could recommend them more wholeheartedly if they would make their software more useable and less proprietary.
Using Easyshare is a big mistake. I never use it and download my
pictures by removing the card and using it in a card reader. They
are as cheap as $10 and you can use any program (Picsasa) and
others. Couldn't be easier. Jim
Tuscola Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 2:11 PM   #14

I own a Nikon Coolpix 950, Panasonic Lumix fz-10 a pentax istds and a kodak z885. I am amazed at what I can do with the Z885. I once told a kodak representative that they could not make good digital cameras and would never succeed in that business. I think I was wrong. Looking for a new camera with good telephoto and low light capabilities-not a dslr- and am considering the 980.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 2:31 PM   #15

Quote:
The KODAK software is not needed to download pictures from the camera. The only time easyshare is needed if for the drivers for a printer dock or printer. Evan then the easyshare software does not need to be used for downloading or for any other reason. So if you were to find out how to operate a computor you would not have to move anything from easyshare into any other program. It's funny how people that know least complain the most about how stuff works.
Isn’t that true! I would include people who don’t seem to have the slightest idea what Picture Transfer Protocol is or how it works. If a camera doesn’t comply with PTP it will not show as a drive. Nor can programs like Picasa access it.

Uninformed newbies think it is a simple Windows function that makes a camera show as a drive. Those who have been around the digital world for a while realize that many early cameras required dedicated software to access the photos. Kodak has been the last hanger on. As recently as a couple of years ago they had several cameras that were not PTP compliant, and one was a flagship superzoom. A Kodak tech who posted on Steve’s forums confirmed that. Whether Kodak has given up and decided to make all their current cameras PTP is something I have no way of knowing. But I would want to find out before recommending one.

Quote:
Using Easyshare is a big mistake. I never use it and download my pictures by removing the card and using it in a card reader. They
are as cheap as $10 and you can use any program (Picsasa) and
others. Couldn't be easier. Jim
I don’t find EasyShare to be a big mistake at all. Especially for people who download using a program or wizard. And especially for those who use an organizer like Picasa. EasyShare works well with Kodak cameras. My friends never remove the card or battery from their camera, and Kodak organizes the folders by date. They can add to the folder name so they know the event or circumstances of the photos. Other than having to buy a card reader to put photos back on the camera for printing it works fine for my friends.

It isn’t my cup of tea. I do everything from Windows Explorer and can quickly find any photo I’ve taken in the past 10 years. But for those who prefer programs and wizards, EasyShare is a competent program. I just wish it was less proprietary.

Last edited by slipe; May 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 6:38 PM   #16

It seems to be all a matter of personal workflow. For the majority of folks in this Kodak Folder, it appears that, an inexpensive chip reader and a photo editing program is their preferred cup of tea.Other like what the EasyShare option offers, and that is fine too.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 7:24 PM   #17

Hi everybody, sorry I haven't been around much..I still recommend Kodak, even though like the rest of you, I'm dissapointed they never continued on the P series. I made the leap to the Sony a300 and love it, but my old dx7590 still sees plenty of use and sometimes can rival dslr's in pic quality...and just for the record, Kodak DID enter the dslr market back in the 90's and made very good ones..Problem was only pro photographers could afford them ck out the Kodak pro dslr forum here on Steve's
Dan
dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
For many people, who may be enthusiastic photographers, this is easier said than done. As cameras and computers become more so-called 'user-friendly', the reality is that their operation is hidden behind an ever more obscure, less transparent, software interface.

My own method of dealing with it is to stay well behind the times, and keep everything as simple & transparent as possible. The best advice we can offer here for new users is to tell them to buy a card reader and not even to try connecting the camera direct to the computer.

In my local 'pound shop', read-only card readers, like USB2 pen drives with an SD card slot, cost 1 ukpound (US$1.50 approx.) each. I have bought many of these, and hand them out as presents to friends & family, where they solve many interface problems. They're small enough to live in a camera case or a pocket.

With such a tool, my octogenarian mother-in-law has taken up digital photography at last, retiring her APS film camera. With one of these readers, she doesn't need a computer at all. Images goes via USB to her HDD/DVD video recorder for sorting and writing to DVD, and glorious display on her huge HDTV. OK, she can't do post-processing, but I can always help her do that on my wife's laptop, and email images to my tame camera shop for printing when she wishes, or she can take them on a disk.

'So-called-Easyshare' had a lifetime of less than a day on my PC when I got my first Kodak digicam, and was rapidly expunged. It's a blatant attempt to lock users in to the brand. That's better done by marketing good cameras at excellent prices.

Alan: I'll except that some do not know what can be done about software. But I can not except that people complain without ever trying to find how to fix the things they do not like about it. The first time I installed easyshare I took it out. Then I needed to install it for my printer dock and still didin't like the way it worked. I wrote ONE e-mail and my problems were solved. So if you or anyone needs easyshare installed for printer drivers I can show you a 5 min way to not use it of downloading, storing, and you'll never know it's in your computor
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 1:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2cam View Post
Alan: I'll except that some do not know what can be done about software. But I can not except that people complain without ever trying to find how to fix the things they do not like about it......
In reality, most people who aren't computer literate just give up on such difficulties. I speak as someone with more than 25 years' experience of helping folk with problems such as this. The fixing of problems similar to this may well be among the biggest time-wasters in the human world at present.

Most folk are not like you and me at all. I'm like you and worry away at problems until I've fixed them. However, I only worry until I've found a simple solution. In this case it was to erase Easyshare, and recommend everyone with difficulties to do the same. I also know when to call it a day, as in this discussion. I'll respond no further.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 4:15 PM   #20

Quote:
So if you or anyone needs easyshare installed for printer drivers I can show you a 5 min way to not use it of downloading, storing, and you'll never know it's in your computor
If you know of a way to have EasyShare installed but not have it interfere with PTP operations I would be interested in how. Most people who want to download through another program or Windows Explorer either have to get a card reader or uninstall EasyShare. Maybe you could post a copy of the email or just give the instructions.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote