Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 17, 2009, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Paperwt P-712

I was digging thru the closet yesterday and found this virtually new P712 Kodak camera, and a couple of 1gb sd cards, a 1.7tc, and some filters.
It's to light to use for a paper weight.
Any suggestions?
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 9:17 PM   #2

Flying Fossil-

I just sent you a PM, as i have a great idea for that old Z-712 camera and accessories.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Flying Fossil....that old Z-712 camera....
Sarah Joyce
I take it you meant P712 (from before my time), Sarah Joyce? I'm jealous of its hot shoe!
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7384&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=4932

How did it differ from the Z712?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4

The P-712 was refinement of the P-850 and the beginnings of what we later knew as the Z-712.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 18, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5

So was it better or worse? (Ignoring the original asking price). If better, the OP holds a little gem in his hands!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:40 PM   #6

Alan-

The P-712 was not a really outstanding camera. It did not beat the P-850, it just added more megapixels. It did have a hot shoe, but the Z-712 was the much better variation of the same design.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 21, 2009, 4:33 PM   #7

I have actually done some analysis on the OP's P712 photos and the biggest difference between the P series and the Z612/Z712 is that Kodak dialed down the in camera default sharpening to leave more headroom for the user to tweek the sharpening to their exact requirements with post processing. Kodak Ron said as much in this forum sometime back. I've tweeked the OP's posted photos with a slightly more aggresive setting in IrfanView than I use with the Z612 and with that the P712's IQ stands right with the Z612/712. As you say Alan, being able to use the P20 would really be neat.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 10:47 PM   #8

My dear A.C.-

The bottom line, at least in my humble opinion, for Kodak comes down to this: They are attempting to do it on the CHEAP! The new flagship the Kodak Z-980 is at best a rather average camera. Why you might ask??

Because they decided to "piggyback" (a common thing in the Chinese camera industry) along with the Pentax X-70, and the Nikon P-90. The result was a less than spectacular Kodak Z-980.

That kind of marketing strategy will cause Kodak to fall off of the camera marketing cliff. In all honesty the Z-980 is a huge let down, at least for me!. What could have been a really cutting edge camera fell into the "just average" category in a very big way.

So you might want some proof, that the Z-980 has been something of a "so-so" camera. Take note of the fact that there is very little, if any interest in this so called "new" camera. Whether it be in this website or even a website soley devoted to the Kodak Z-980. There is almost no activity at all.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 3:25 PM   #9

Sarah:

Where you perhaps respnding to my comments in one of the other threads?

None the less I agree with your observations. Pentax and Nikon can get away with the "me too" or "piggyback" strategy because their reputations are anchored to their DSLR lines. Kodak doesn't have a distinguished DSLR line so their P&S lines must either be performance leaders or at least clear cost/performance value leaders. I'm inclined to agree that the Z980, while feature rich, is neither. The "piggback" strategy wiil therefore not be a successfull long term marketing strategy.

I believe I could produce satisfying images with the Z980 but I'm afraid I'd be spending much time/effort working around it's limitations to be satisfying. You've seen that I push my Z612 to the edge of its and my capabilities. I think I'd hit the Z980s limits too soon. Maybe if I could pretended it was a 6MP camera, set the resolution to that and overcome the buffer size (and maybe even the ISO) limitations. Or I could buy an honest 9-10MP FZ28 for less and have more fun.

I can't quite agree with your comments on no interest in other forums. DP Review has a number of users posting their photos. Their results look good BUT those images are stationary subjects in broad daylight. I take those pictures as well but I don't live there. I want to explore the ragged edges of both the camera's and my capabilities and why you see me posting ISO 400, 1/6 sec. hand held shots like the Camero in my QC Autoshow thread.

Kodak, are you listening?

A. C.

PS. Sarah, it's really good to have you back spurring these discussions!

Last edited by ac.smith; May 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 6:46 PM   #10

Hi A.C.-

As much as anything I was just vocalizing my opinions concerning the Z-980. When compared to Kodak's Z-612, Z-712, and even the Z-1012, the Z980 has a much more limited capabilities range.

I do follow the Kodak Forum over at dpreview, but while things were quite active three weeks ago, on that website, today there is much less activity.

Personally, I had some very high hopes for the Z-980 camera, but like you, A.C. I am also reaching the limits far to early.

Yes, it is good to be home for a bit, but it is only temporary. We head out again on 05/31 and will be gone till 08/17. Oh well, it pays the bills and it is fun.

Sarah Joyce