Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 23, 2009, 7:16 PM   #1

Default Kodak dc290 digital camera

Hello everyone.... Hope to get help from someone regarding this little problem ! I Accidently left my digital camera out in the rain, overnight, no less... of course now it won't even turn on, I tried hooking it up on the usb port but still no luck in turning the camera on... OMG What can I do, and is there a solution to this problem, I've been drying it under ceiling fan for 24 hrs, but still see condensation on the color LCD screen! I will appreciate any help you can give me, thanks and God Bless... Marie
Mireille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2009, 7:17 PM   #2

Can my Kodak DC 290 which was left in the rain (heavy downpour) be made to work again?
Old May 23, 2009, 7:29 PM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I don't see many posts discussing that model anymore, and it would be sad to have it ruined.

If it were mine, I'd probably remove the batteries and would *not* try to power it up until it was reasonably free of condensation to reduce the possibility of damaging sensitive electronics.

I'd probably bag it up with some dissecant to try and absorb some of the moisture. Then, carefully clean any exposed contacts (for example, battery contacts) after I think it's thoroughly dried out. I'd also try using all buttons, dials and switches so that the friction would help to clean any oxidation from switch contacts, before trying to insert the batteries and power it up again..

But, perhaps some of our members know a better approach. I'll move this thread down to our Kodak Forum now where you'll probably find members more familiar with your camera model.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 8:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille View Post
Hello everyone.... Hope to get help from someone regarding this little problem ! I Accidently left my digital camera out in the rain, overnight, no less... of course now it won't even turn on, I tried hooking it up on the usb port but still no luck in turning the camera on... OMG What can I do, and is there a solution to this problem, I've been drying it under ceiling fan for 24 hrs, but still see condensation on the color LCD screen! I will appreciate any help you can give me, thanks and God Bless... Marie
All you can do is pat yourself on the back for a job-well-done.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 1:01 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll try doing that, and hopefully, it will work..... I LOVE MY CAMERA,,, I's so lost without it... Mireille
Old May 29, 2009, 10:08 AM   #6

Well, it has been over a week since my Kodak DC290's demise?! I have tried every possible remedy even pinning all cavities open to let the inside completelly dry.... this morning I crossed my fingers, and put in 4 new batteries, and actually saw the flashing light go on, but for only a second!
I immedialtelly took batteries out, and set the camera down again with everything open and under ceiling fan... I see no further moisture in the lenses, or the display in back of the camera.
I haven't given up on it just yet. Any suggestions from anyone will be appreciated...
I'm thinking of unscrewing the bottom of the camera to see if it has moisture in there, but not brave enough to attemp it yet. I'm so lost without my camera.. almost to the point of going out and buying another digital camera! But money is a little scarce for luxaries now, so I hope that my patience will pay off. have a wonderful day, and keep your cameras out of the rain!!!! Hopefully the picture I inserted in this message will come thrue, it is the last picture taken when my camera was left out in the rain . I was doing some landscaping, and what you see is the mere beginning of it.... Marie