Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:15 AM   #11

The Z1012 is not a dSLR. The lens of the Z1012 cannot be detached from the camera body. In other words, the built-in lens has to be used every time you shoot with the Z1012.

But you can attach another lens to supplement the built-in lens. These are the converters. The TCON (tele-converter) and the WCON (wide-angle-converter). The built-in lens has a focal range of 33mm-396mm (35mm equivalent). A TCON 1.7 will change the range to 33x1.7 - 396x 1.7. Likewise a WCON 0.7 will change the range to 33x0.7 - 396x0.7.

Theoretically, the TCON lengthens the tele focal length from 396mm to 673mm and the WCON shortens the wide-angle focal length from 33mm to 23mm.

But there is a contraint to consider. The TCON and WCON cannot be connected directly to the built-in lens. There is no filter thread on the built-in lens. As the built-in lens moves in and out during power-on and power-off, it cannot bear the weight of the converter lens. Hence we need a adapter tube attached to the camera body. Effectively, the adapter forms a tunnel for the built-in lens to move in and move out. At the same time the adapter allows the TCON and WCON to be connected.

Having the adapter (e.g. the Bower) attached, it will produce some black fringes around an image i.e. vignetting. For the TCON, vignetting is irrelevant as you need to zoom the built-in lens all the way to 396mm to get the 396x1.7 conversion. But the WCON will see the vignetting problem as you zoom out the 33mm to get 23mm. So the vignetting defeats the purpose of using the WCON.

Hope the above helps!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:30 AM   #12

If it was possible to buy an adapter similar to that which is sold for use on the Canon G10 (only has 5X zoom) then you would not get any vignetting with a WCON.

The adapter for the Canon G10 is made in two parts - a short adapter tube for use with a WCON and an extra extension tubethat is screwed on to the adapter tube for use with the TCON, making the total length of the tubes just over 2" long. The short tube, approx 1.26" long, is designed to be used without zooming as otherwise the lens zoomed will hit the rear of the WCON. For a better description with diagrams & pictures go & look at the Canon G10 section of the www.lensmateonline.com website.

Sadly, I have not yet found an adapter like that to fit the Z1012 camera.

I have a Kodak S-K 0.7 WCON that I use with my Z710 but I can't use it with my Z1012. It would be nice to have a 23mm focal length with the Z1012 as I have come across a few situations where 33mm wasn't wide enough e.g. taking a aerial photo of a garden & couldn't get a ladder high enough.

The Olympus 1.7X TCON that I have works great & it actually corrects the tiniest amount of C-A that I was getting at 12x zoom with my Z1012. I took photos of cruise ships at about 1 to 2 mile distances for comparisons. Lots of straight black & white segments on the upper decks to compare photos without & with TCON attached.
RufusGartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:31 AM   #13

I was going to ask about the lens for the Z1012 but it appears someone beat me to it. Will have to check it out.

Last edited by DAN007; Jul 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
DAN007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:03 AM   #14

Hi RufusGartz,

It is a good idea to have a shorter adapter tube when using the Wide-Angle Converter to minimize or eliminate vignetting.

I have the Olympus TCON1.7 and WCON0.7, both have 55mm thread.

But so far, I have not yet found any adapter tube specifically for WCON.
In another post, I reported that the Bower adapter combined with the WCON is not usable.

Please do share the information if you happen to find a suitable adapter for WCON.

Just thinking aloud, it might be possible to cascade several step-up rings to build an ad hoc adapter e.g. 49mm-50mm//50mm-52mm//52mm-55mm

Have you tried such an arrangement?

Cheers!
Daniel
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:03 PM   #15

Step up & step down rings would work but the initial 49mm thread will need to be longer to be able to screw into the camera's front thread. All of the 49mm step up rings that I have seen for sale in stores & on the net have a short thread. If anybody spots one then pass on the location to the rest of us.

Here's and idea that I have not as yet tried: Use a hacksaw on a cheap 49mm-58mm adapter tube suitable for a Z1012 and cut it to the right length. Then superglue or epoxy in the end of it a 52mm-55mm step up ring to make the correct length adapter for the WCON. Only problem is getting the end of the contraption squared up with the other end. If I could get access to a mini-lathe then it might have a chance of ending up square.
RufusGartz is offline   Reply With Quote