Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:41 AM   #1

Default Some Z712 shots

As it's quiet here with Sarah Joyce away, here are a few Z712 images that I've posted elsewhere lately, but have been rather lonely since...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos/156056-strong-not-so-strong.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos/156064-new-old-dundee.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/travel-photography/156065-dundee-waterfront.html
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:07 AM   #2

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing your images of Dundee.
It was quite nice and good weather up north during Easter.

I had never been to Dundee when I worked in the UK.
But Dundee was quite a familiar name to me because my boss in CERL (the Central Electricity Research Laboratories) was a Scot who came from Dundee. By the way, his family name is quite high up in the Scottish social ladder - he is a Macqueen (Son of a Queen, as I understand it from him).

Cheers!
Daniel
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancheng View Post
...my boss in CERL (the Central Electricity Research Laboratories)
Well I never! - I worked in ECRC, Capenhurst, part of the then Electricity Council. It's now a thriving but smaller contract research outfit doing lots of work now for Electricity Companies and others, when it was for Electricity Boards directly or indirectly back then. I had many good friends in the Scottish Electricty Industry. I've posted a good pictures of power towers and power stations in these forums over the years. I retired 10 years ago.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:58 AM   #4

Hi Alan,

So you and I had worked in the Electricity Supply Industry (ESI) in Britain, though at different locations. CERL in Leatherhead, Surrey was doing R&D for the Central Electricity Generating Board and I recall that ECRC in Chester, Cheshire was doing likewise for the 12 Area Boards. What a small world!

I wish that you continue enjoying your happy retirement and sharing more photography tips with us!

Incidentally I am still working in the ESI but now in Asia.

Cheers!
Daniel
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:27 PM   #5

Alan,

I've enjoyed your Scotland series. My grandfather on my mother's side was born in Inverkeithing in 1890 (~?) and raised in Coatbridge until the age 12 when his family emigrated to Canada. I was able to spend a week in Scotland during my last Germany assignment (1992). We spent most of our time in Edinburgh although we were able to take a day trip to Coatbridge. We were heading to Glasgow but were waylaid by the Summerlee Heritage Park when we stopped for lunch in Coatbridge. This was before its major renovation in 2008 but it was still the most facinating and thorough exhibit of the industrial revolution I have ever seen. I found illumination of events in my family history and the industrial revolution in the US. My grandfather's great-grandfather left the highlands in the 1750s to work the coal mines in the lowlands. His father then emigrated to Canada as the coal mines and iron mines supporting Scottish industry played out. I have seen one author's claim that Scotland's most important export was people.

Your phrase "Well I never!" also brings back memories. The last person I heard use that phrase was my grandmother on my mother's side. She was of Welsh heritage, her family having emigrated to Canada only a few years earlier than my grandfather's.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancheng View Post
he is a Macqueen (Son of a Queen, as I understand it from him)
I wonder if he's any good at jumping motorbikes over high fences?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I wonder if he's any good at jumping motorbikes over high fences?
Do you know a Macqueen that possesses the said attribute and also worked in CERL?

I cannot exactly recall my ex-boss rode a motorbike. But he was a tall chap and drove a Morris Mini. It was quite an interesting sight when he got in or out of the car. By the way, his initials are J.F. Macqueen; and he is a mathematician by training.

Last edited by dancheng; Jun 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM.