Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:30 AM   #1

Default Pulling out the Trusty and Well Experienced Z-712

I was sorting through cameras today, and I came across the Kodak Z-712 camera. Alan and I both like the Kodak Z-712 a lot. Mine had not been used for over a year since I got the Kodak Z-1012 camera.

So for old time sake I pulled out the Z-712 this morning and fired it up. As always, the Z-712 worked perfectly, and here is the sample photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:12 PM   #2

Default Kodak Z-980 Photo Sample

Well, I started on this thread early this morningwhen we had dense fog. In the late afternoon it finally cleared.

When I went to take the attached photo with the Kodak Z-980, I found this building in a full backlighting situation. Notice where the shadows are falling on the roof. I was too distant from the building to consider fill flash, so I knew that the photo would have to be saved in post processing using Adobe Photoshop Elements. The result is a workable photo, but keep in mind that the more post processing you do the more you induce noise into your photo.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: to provide a better explanation
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3

Hello, This is my first post but I've spent several days reading many threads in the Kodak, Canon and Nikon forums. I'm researching the Kodak Z980 vs. Nikon P90 vs. Canon SX 10IS vs. Pentax (can't remember the number... the comparable zoom). My old trusty is my beloved Kodak Z612 and I was wondering, what's the difference between the 612 and the 712? Is it MPs? Anything else? Here's a picture from my 612, taken aboard QE2 in 4/08 during a transatlantic crossing. For me it's all in the tiny little details...
meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:29 AM   #4

Default The Kodak Z-Series Cameras

meezer-

Welcome to both the Forum and the Kodak folder. The Kodak Z-612 was a 6 mp camera, whereas the Z-712 was a 7.2mp camera. That is the basic difference. The ISO capability of the Z-712 was increased somewhat and the Auto WB was improved.

The Z-1012 camera follows the the Z-712 camera and it has 10mp and once again, the ISO capability and the Auto white balance were improved. The Z-1012 is capable of ISO 800 shots without flash when needed.

The camera following the Z-1012 is the current Z-980 model which features 24X optical zoom, Kodak colors, and a hot shoe for the Kodak P-20 external flash which is very handy. In actual shooting, I have not found the high ISO capability to not quite be equal to that of the, 12X optical zoom, Z-1012 camera.

However the Z-980 is a very capable camera with many desirable features. Here is a Z-712 Photo Sample.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:29 PM   #5

Sarah; What excellent, vibrant colors in your exposures. The examples I've seen in this forum where one of the reasons I ordered a Z712 as an upgrade for my trusty Canon S2 IS. It is also a bit smaller and quite and bit lighter. I returned the Z712 mentioned in another post because it was only good for 20 exposures or so even with a fully charged lion lithium rechargeable battery. It wouldn't even power up with brand new CRV3 lithium disposables. So much for "factory refurbished" merchandise. This time around I went with a new camera. It should arrive before my anxiously awaited trip to the gospel hump wilderness area in northern Idaho. I will attempt to post some photos later in September. God bless and have a nice day.... Rick R.
Rickster49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:48 PM   #6

Thanks Rick for the nice compliment-

I purchased my Kodak Z-712 brand new and it has been a great camera. Have a great Holiday.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:30 PM   #7

meezer:

Nice photo. As you say - it's in the details. My Z612 is still trucking along - over 1K photos this year.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
meezer-

Welcome to both the Forum and the Kodak folder. The Kodak Z-612 was a 6 mp camera, whereas the Z-712 was a 7.2mp camera. That is the basic difference. The ISO capability of the Z-712 was increased somewhat and the Auto WB was improved.

The Z-1012 camera follows the the Z-712 camera and it has 10mp and once again, the ISO capability and the Auto white balance were improved. The Z-1012 is capable of ISO 800 shots without flash when needed.

The camera following the Z-1012 is the current Z-980 model which features 24X optical zoom, Kodak colors, and a hot shoe for the Kodak P-20 external flash which is very handy. In actual shooting, I have not found the high ISO capability to not quite be equal to that of the, 12X optical zoom, Z-1012 camera.

However the Z-980 is a very capable camera with many desirable features. Here is a Z-712 Photo Sample.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, It appears to me that this shot has had a ton of PP work done, maybe even a run thru HDR software.
If that's the case, it doesn't really tell us what the Z-712 accomplished.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:10 PM   #9

Flying Fossil-

No, actually that was a really lucky photo. All I di was to crop the photo, sharpen it, and increase the contrast a bit. Every once in awhile we hit a really lucky photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:17 AM   #10

i took these pics with my kodak Z712IS the camera i used ti have

ARES, my Siberian Husky:

Giancarlo_HG is offline   Reply With Quote