Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:12 AM   #21

Default from Japan.

Hello Sarah.

I'm sorry for my poor English.

I'm very interested in Z980. But, I can't ascertained the technology and quality of Kodak.Because Kodak left a Japan market. (It is a big loss for me.) I can only look for the photo shot by someone

I want to learn your personal opinion of z980.
Do you feel that this camera can be rivaled to a lot of Japanese super zoom cameras?

I'm not careful for the noise in the photograph.
I attach importance to the following performance.
Suitable color for Kodak brand, response, and toughness.

I'm sorry again for my poor English.
Yours sincerely.

Noburo

Last edited by Noburo Soma; Sep 4, 2009 at 2:19 AM.
Noburo Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:14 PM   #22

Noburo-

Welcome to the Forum. Please, not to worry about your English. I can't speak one word of Japanese!

About 80 years ago the company that we know today as Fuji Cameras was the sole distributor of Kodak products in Japan. In the 1930's Fuji and Kodak severed their agreement and Kodak agreed to not compete against Fuji during their start-up years.

The Kodak Z-980 does indeed have the famous Kodak Color, as you can see from the photos that I posted in this thread. The fact that the Z-980 has a hot shoe that can mount an external flash is a real advantage. The Z-980 camera shares the same lens, and its internal camera parts with the Nikon P-90, the Pentax X-70. Those cameras are all made in the same Chinese factory.

So in conclusion, I believe that the Z-980 is competitive with the other 24X optical zoom cameras in the market.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:58 PM   #23

Default Z 980 Price has decreased

For the past few weeks the price of the Z980 has been up, sometimes above the $399 list price. Today I found it at J&R Music World for $349.88 + $11.10 shipping (no tax). Unfortunately for me, this is the exact cost of an operation my cat must have on Tuesday. So I will have to continue using my trusty Z612 for now. But Christmas is coming.....
meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:46 PM   #24

meezer-

Yes, we all have to deal with our own personal priorities. Perhaps as we move toward Christmas the price will continue to drop.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:07 AM   #25

Default Early Christmas present

Comp USA had a sale flyer in the Sunday paper today (September 6, 2009). Kodak Z980 for $299. My dear hubby decided I needed an early Christmas present. We were waiting when they opened the store. So were ten other people. We went straight to cameras and got one of the only two Z980s that they had in stock. Batteries are charging... pictures later!

Aside from the sale price another reason to buy now is that out first grandchild will be born next month. Can't wait to take pictures of him.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:14 PM   #26

Meezer-

That is really great news! You will really enjoy the Kodak Z980 camera. Perhaps not now, but it would be a really excellent idea to also purchase the Kodak P-20 external flash, as well. The external flash really extends the photo capabilities of the Z-980 camera.

Have a great day and post some photos soon.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:15 PM   #27

Default First photos with my new Z980

So far so good! I really like the Z980. The batteries died very quickly so they are on the charger. I posted my pix at Flickr... let me know if I should post them here as well. Here's a link to the set at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meezer6...7622146219313/
Comments would be most welcome!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:01 PM   #28

Meezer-

Your Kodak Z-980 photos look great! I love those Kodak Colors. I find that Hybrid NImH batteries work the best with the Z-980 camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:08 PM   #29

Thanks for the battery info, Sarah. I let the Kodak batteries charge for an hour and they have held the charge well. I've been reading the online instruction book and finally found the histogram on/off switch, and the RAW switch too. I am finding that there's some noise in low light, but I expected that. Many reviews that I'd read said the battery latch was flimsy. While it's not as sturdy as the one on my Z612 it's not that bad. I like the red eye fill in option. I'm finding the menus relatively easy to navigate, much like my Z612. I'm pleased that I can fit the 980 in the same purse that I've used to carry my 612. I thought it would be too big but it fits. Tonight we're going to Crystal Beach (west coast Florida on the Gulf of Mexico) so I can take pix of the sunset. I'll be back later with some more photos to share.
Meezer
PS I've added several more pix to my Flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meezer6...7622146219313/
They're not particularly great shots, I'm just experimenting to see what the camera will and won't do.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:06 PM   #30

Meezer-

It sounds like you are having lot of fun with the new Z-980. Your photos are impressive.

Sarah Joyce