Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:40 AM   #1

Default Defective Z712 out of the box????

UPS dropped off my new Z712 today. Every function seems to work fine with KLIC 8000 rechargeable battery. Problem is the camera starts up and then shuts down in 3 seconds when using new (exp date 2017) CRV3 batteries. I tried the enclosed Kodak and a new duracell just to be sure. Same same results. Can I assume the camera is defective? I read that Alan T has had excellent long life results with the disposable CRV3. My plan was to use the disposables for a backup source. Bummer. Is there anything else to try before I return the camera (purchased on ebay) for replacement???

Last edited by Rickster49; Aug 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
Rickster49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:11 PM   #2

Default Kodak KLIC-8000 Batteries

Rick-

It would be much better if I were there with you and able take in the full scenario. However, it appears, from your description that there is enough batter power to start-up the camera, but then it fails due to low battery power. Sometimes the expiration date on a battery means nothing. Everything has to do with how they were handled. If the battery was dropped an electrode could easily be split or broken inside the battery with no change in the appearance on the exterior of the battery.

Personally, I stay away from CRV use. I tried them and did not have a good experience. Instead I use either the Kodak KLIC-8000 battery or a generic equivalent that is widely available on E-Bay.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Rick-

It would be much better if I were there with you and able take in the full scenario. However, it appears, from your description that there is enough batter power to start-up the camera, but then it fails due to low battery power. Sometimes the expiration date on a battery means nothing. Everything has to do with how they were handled. If the battery was dropped an electrode could easily be split or broken inside the battery with no change in the appearance on the exterior of the battery.

Personally, I stay away from CRV use. I tried them and did not have a good experience. Instead I use either the Kodak KLIC-8000 battery or a generic equivalent that is widely available on E-Bay.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah / Thank you for your response. I guess I will go ahead with the rechargables for my upcoming trip. The Kodak warranty is for 1 year so if it bothers me enough I have time to send it in for analysis/repairs. It just bugs me that the camera won't power up with the battery sent with the Kodak package. Just seems like a bad karma type of thing. My rechargables and charger are the same as in your photo by the way.... Rick

Last edited by Rickster49; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM.
Rickster49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:32 PM   #4

Hi Rick-

I am glad to hear that you have created a "work around."

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote