Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:47 AM   #1

Default Z1012 and Filters

Can anyone recommend the proper connector so that I can buy a filter for my Z1012? I'm just interested in a basic UV filter so I can protect the lens when others are using my camera? What is the thread size of the lens? Who sells these?

Will using this connector require me to zoom in for all pictures?

Thanks
SSS
ssoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:59 AM   #2

Default which size

I think (correct me if I'm wrong please) the Z1012 has a 49mm thread size.
I looked on Tiffen's site. They have 49 to 55 and 49 to 58 step up adapters.
Am I safer buying the kodak one?

Thanks
ssoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:16 PM   #3

There are no threads on the lens, only on the stationary barrel.

A. C
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoman View Post
Can anyone recommend the proper connector so that I can buy a filter for my Z1012? I'm just interested in a basic UV filter so I can protect the lens when others are using my camera? What is the thread size of the lens? Who sells these?
Have you gotten an answer to your questions? I've recently been researching the same scenarios. I have a Z1012is and I think I've decided on a product to fit my needs.

Regards,

Kevin
Kevin Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:56 PM   #5

Hi, kevin-

I think it would be valuable to share the info you found on mounting filters on the Z-1012. I would appreciate it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I think it would be valuable to share the info you found on mounting filters on the Z-1012. I would appreciate it.
Sarah, I would be happy to. I would be remiss not to mention I have zero experience with lens filters, and the like. Just based on the research I've done, I thought this would be a good first investment to learn with. The particular kit I've decided to try is located here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390087462845

Most reviews of filter adapters (tubes) I've read about comment the tube causes vignetting on the photo. These reviews also commented the vignetting could be reduced, or elimated, by zooming-in on the subject (extending the lens deeper into the tube) thus getting better control of light, etc. I noticed the tube in this kit has a larger diameter on the filter end (58mm) than that of the camera body. I'm hoping this will help a little with the vignetting others have reported.

The kit comes with an assortment of items (filter adapter and lens cap, lens hood, SMV UV-0 filter, circular polarizer filter, and soft diffuser filter) and the price is right for beginners like me who need to experiment. I also plan on picking up a graduated ND (-0.6) filter from the same company.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Last edited by Kevin Childress; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Kevin Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:51 AM   #7

Hi, Kevin-

The price seem right. Let us know how it works. The adapter can remain in place and protect your camera lens. The polarizer will reduce glare and improve your color in skies.
Thanks again.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:37 PM   #8

I don't post here very often, and actually forgot about this place until yesterday. But I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this, as I have experience with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
There are no threads on the lens, only on the stationary barrel.

A. C
This is correct. Your adapter/filters will not be attached directly to the lens, but the camera body instead. Thus the need to zoom in to avoid vignetting. Fully zoomed out, and it's pretty horrible. Nice, wide angle landscape shots are all but impossible...unless you do what I did. I had the barrel of the adapter cut down to about a 1/2 inch in length. I then glued a small strip of felt on the inside of the adapter barrel. Now I can just slip my filters (polarizers, close-up filters, star light/burst, neutral density) right on the end of the lens when needed, and NO vignetting. The only drawback is, if I forget to remove the filter before powering off the camera, it will get popped off when the lens retracts into the camera body. Oh well, acceptable compromise for getting shots like this with a Z1012:

(over exposed highlights though )

The Z1012 definitely has its limits and drawbacks, but you can still get some great pictures with it, especially with the use of some filters. I hope this helps!

-Mark

Last edited by grywolf627; Jan 20, 2010 at 5:44 PM.
grywolf627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:34 PM   #9

Hey, Mark-

Thanks for the excellent input. Congratulations for creating your own work around. Your photos look great.

Sarah Joyce