Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Good z950 review

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4085
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:43 PM   #2

Welcome Back, Domang!

It good to hear from you again. Many thanks for the link the the Kodak Z950 camera review.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

It good to hear from you again.
You too, Sarah.

You're the only one to reply to this either here or in that other forum and that's surprising to me. Maybe it's me. Next time I'll pass it to you to post.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:56 PM   #4

Hello Domang,
Thank you for the link to the z950 review. Sorry you didn't get many replies. Are you considering this camera for purchase? It looks like a nice one. I've found that I must have an EVF and since I like the 24x zoom I went with the z980.
Best wishes, Meezer
meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meezer67 View Post
Hello Domang,
Thank you for the link to the z950 review. Sorry you didn't get many replies. Are you considering this camera for purchase? It looks like a nice one. I've found that I must have an EVF and since I like the 24x zoom I went with the z980.
Best wishes, Meezer
Hi, Meezer.

It's not that I didn't get replies but the apparent lack of interest in the Z950 review that surprised me.

I would consider this camera but I also like an EVF. My hard head makes a good brace to steady a camera. And, I need to wear reading glasses to see the LCD clearly.

I'll give it a look when it hits the brick and mortar stores.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:17 PM   #6

meezer-

The 10X optical zoom travel camera market is a very tight and competitive market. With no definite wide angle lens position, the truth of the matter is that the Kodak Z-950 is going to have a very hard time.

Look at the competition, please. It is primarily the Panasonic ZS1/ZS3 cameras, followed very closely by the Canon SX-200 camera. All of the competition that I have named, are at the very same price level. The Pansonics have an amazing 25mm extreme wide angle lens. Even the Canon SX-200 has a 28mm wide angle.

What does the Kodak Z-950 have? A very under spec'ed 35mm lens, at wide angle position, that gets no attention at all! it is, It is in reality, a short cut, to failure. And that is exactly what is happening with the Z-950 camera. It's sad, but that is the reality in the camera industry.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
meezer-

The 10X optical zoom travel camera market is a very tight and competitive market. With no definite wide angle lens position, the truth of the matter is that the Kodak Z-950 is going to have a very hard time.

Look at the competition, please. It is primarily the Panasonic ZS1/ZS3 cameras, followed very closely by the Canon SX-200 camera. All of the competition that I have named, are at the very same price level. The Pansonics have an amazing 25mm extreme wide angle lens. Even the Canon SX-200 has a 28mm wide angle.

What does the Kodak Z-950 have? A very under spec'ed 35mm lens, at wide angle position, that gets no attention at all! it is, It is in reality, a short cut, to failure. And that is exactly what is happening with the Z-950 camera. It's sad, but that is the reality in the camera industry.

Sarah Joyce
OTOH, on the tele end, it's 250mm for the Panasonics, 280mm for the Canon and 350mm for the Kodak.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:22 PM   #8

Domang-

I realize that. However, with Panasonic loudly trumpeting their super wide angle at 25mm, it is hard for the general public to avoid that comparison.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:04 PM   #9

Default Z950 reviewed by Steve's?

Photoxels has apparently seen a Z950 review here and posted today. They see more than I do. Maybe tomorrow.

This seems to be a quote from the phantom review: An incredibly versatile and easy-to-use digicam.

http://www.photoxels.com/kodak-z950-...eves-digicams/