Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:47 PM   #1

Default How do Older Kodak Camera Really Compare

Folks,

Interestingly enough, some of Kodak's older cameras are still producing great image quality and are now a real bargain on the used camera market.

I am sure you are wondering which Kodak cameras still really have that, "go for broke" image quality? Well, look for the Z-740, the Z-760, the Z-7590, and the Z-1012 cameras. E-Bay is a good source in the used camera market, as is www.keh.com, wwwbhphotvideo.com, and www.adorama.com.

You may indeed find a bargain out there!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:31 AM   #2

I'm sure you are right, Sarah Joyce and if one wants to save even more money, then the DX6490 and DX7590 will give out-of-the-camera results that have not been bettered by ANY camera I've used - and I've used quite a few.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3

Almar-

I surely do agree. I have my DX-6490, Z7590, Z740, P-880 and P-850 still in oparation. Whenever, any of the grand children have expressed an interest in photography, I have gotten them a used Kodak camera on which to begin their photographic journey.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:59 PM   #4

Default Still love my Z612

I recently purchased a Z980. But when my daughter called to tell us she was in labor and it was time to meet her at the hospital, I grabbed my Z612 instead of the 980. I know my 612 and what it can do. I'm not so sure with the 980. The birth of our first grandchild is a once in a lifetime event, and I wanted pictures. Below are three of my shots with the Z612, all taken in available light. I didn't want the flash going off in newborn eyes.
Enjoy, Meezer67
PS It's a boy!
Attached Images

meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5

Meezer-

Yes, indeed, when the chips are down we grab your favorite camera that you know like an old friend. Your old friend did not let you down at all. You got three excellent captures of an very important event. well done.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:48 PM   #6

Meezer, the last photo in particular I think is absolutely charming and I have attempted to 'improve' it. I'm sure someone more adept and knowledgeable than I could do a far better job.

I shall remove my effort if you don't like it and anyway, after the years have rolled by, any deficiencies in the photo's technical quality will come a very poor second to the memory of that most joyous occasion.

God bless mother and child.

Regards, Almar.
Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:33 PM   #7

Nice job, Almar!

Well done.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8

Default Thank you!

The photo that you enhanced is my favorite. Thank you so much for working with it. We will probably use it in our holiday letter this year. May we use your enhanced version? Mother and child are both doing well. He's three weeks old now!
Best wishes, Meezer
meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:56 PM   #9

Meezer-

Many thanks for the update. The photo now looks great. That is that magic of post processing. It will make a great Christmas letter.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:48 AM   #10

I really am glad to have been of some service! The picture radiates such an aura of love and warmth, I was confident that my humble efforts wouldn't exactly go unappreciated and I'm glad that I 'read the runes' correctly. Meezer, you are more than welcome to do with the photo as you wish and were I younger I could probably have done a better job.

A Greek gentleman, SpiridakisMichael posts on DPreview's Kodak forum and he is the best post processor I know of. That's along with his photographic prowess in general and I remember the stunning job he did on another member's photo of his granddaughters. I know that particular member and when he returns from India I'll contact him with a view to persuading said Greek gent to work his magic on your lovely photo, Meezer whose composition and subject matter, as far as I'm concerned, could not be better.

Thank you for your kind words too, Sarah Joyce......only too happy to contribute something to the Kodak community!

Best wishes from Almar.