Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:24 PM   #1

Default Has Kodak Color Been Changed?

Is it just me? To my eyes it looks like Kodak has very slightly tempered the images that come from the Kodak Color Science Chip. The images from the new Kodak Z-950 are very slightly muted when compared to even the images from the Kodak Z-980 camera that was introduced in March 2009.

Now, if you compare the color output of the Z-950 to older cameras such as the Z-7590, the difference becomes much more obvious. So we will use this image taken at Disneyland as our "base image." The base image seems to represent the new Kodak color implementation.

Notice also that the sharpness of this image and its beautifully smooth and even exposure is also slightly different from previous Kodak camera. IMO, Kodak might have suddenly become much more willing to compete head to head with the other camera manufacturers. That is good news! You realize of course that the Z-950 design was evolved to compete with the Fuji F-70EXR, the Canon SX-200, and the Panasonic ZS1/ZS3 cameras. That, I feel is another, is another very positive move for Kodak.

Tell us what you think, please. Has "Kodak Color" begun to evolve and change?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:30 PM   #2

Now, here is a photo sample from the older (2007) Kodak Z-712 camera. Compare this sample against our "Base Image" from the Z-950. I think you will be able to see some color and contrast differences.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

From these 2 images, it does appear that they have toned down their incamera processing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:39 PM   #4

Now this is an image from the Kodak C-875 (Spring 2008), that used the famous Kodak P-880 imager after the P-880 had been discontinued. I think this began the very gradual color changes we are now focusing upon.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:41 AM   #5

Default Color mode

Doesn't the Color Mode setting contribute to the intensity of colors in Kodak photos? I always use the "natural" or high color setting and sometimes enhance my photos by editing contrast and color saturation in my photo editing program. I prefer the intense colors. Maybe that is because I have cataracts? The sunset below is an example (unedited on Natural Color setting from my Z612).
Attached Images

meezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:51 AM   #6

Good morning, Meezer-

Thanks for the posted sunset photo. It looks great. No I was not referring to menu color options. Instead, I was referring to the normal color out put of Kodak cameras, with out any color adjustments being made.

Looking at the normal color output from very recent Kodak cameras such as the Z-950 and Z-915, it would appear that Kodak has "toned down" their normal color output somewhat. As you compare the initial photos in this thread, the Disneyland shot (Z-950) to the photo of the Crown Princess in San Juan, Puerto Rico (Z-712), you can see that difference and what Kodak has quietly done.

Personally I find that I like Kodak's new approach to color even better. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce