Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1

Default Is the kodak Z-980 Camera Being Quietly Discontinued?

Based on a long thread on the www.dpreview.com, Kodak Folder Discussion Group, it appears that Kodak may indeed be quietly discontinuing the 24X optical zoom Z-980.

That would leave the new Kodak Z-950 as the "sort of" flagship of the Kodak camera line pending a January 2010 announcement of a wholly new addition to the product line. That January addition has created a flurry of speculation about what the monumental January announcement will actually introduce.

A persistent, though unverified, rumor is that Kodak will enter the 4/3 marketplace with a completely new upscale camera.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:22 AM   #2

Yep, Again Kodak's Marketing Dept., doesn't quite get it. Perhaps they only ordered so many to be made, and they can't negotiate a better price for a second batch? There are some left at various WalMarts for $379.oo. Probably should pick one up, and put it on EBAY and make a quick $50-$60.
Bob
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3

You are very correct, Bob-

Walmart is the only place that I know of with Z-980 inventory. And yes, I called Kodak and was told that the Z-980 will no longer be produced.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:41 PM   #4

Sarah Joyce, I hope the camera won't suffer the same fate as the P880 and if you read the Kodak forum on DPreview you'll know what that is.

And it seems to have turned quite a few people against Kodak but then I suppose that Kodak makes the most money from the "soccer moms" choices of the el cheapos.

Regards, Almar.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:13 AM   #5

Almar-

Yes, I am very familiar with the P-880 and in fact, I own one. The problem with the Z980 is that the remaining inventory is being depleted rapidly. As of today, www.walmart.com is the only site that I know for sure still had inventory and they were offering $0.97 shipping fee.

Kodak has always had a funny way of doing business. Yes, they had hoped to focus on the low cost camera market, but that has not been a total success either. The rumor is that Kodak will ricochet into the m4/3 market with an announcement scheduled right before PMA in January 2010.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6

21 November 2009

Hi there, Folks-

Here is the latest of the Z-980 situation. The only major retailer with any inventory of Z980 cameras has been www.walmart.com.

Kodak continues to do their "fancy dance," but everyone agrees that the Z-980 is finished and now out of production, just like the great P-880 camera of several years ago.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images