Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Default Zi8 problem

I recently purchased a new Zi8 (black). I feel it is a great little camera however I am experiencing what I believe is deamed as Shutter Roll. When panning in 1080P the picture is very jittery and fuzzy during playback, no matter how slow and steady I pan the camera. It does better on 720/60fps. I use a MacBook Pro with 10.5.8 OS and I-Photo. It is my understanding that the Arcsoft software does not work on a Mac. The Arcsoft icon does show on my desktop but I cannot open it. Is there any way to alleviate this jitteryness? Will the newer version Zi8, which is to be released shortly after the Jan 1 2010 be updated and have this problem solved?
MLMGoldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:35 PM   #2

when you say playback are you watching on your tv not the PC or mac. and is it present there?

I wonder, why you have this while other not? wonder if its a batch of defects.

jan 1st week is a rumor., of a neweer version. it's a chance you will take.

visit the hybrid a lil further down for the topic.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:28 AM   #3

Greetings-

Yes, after I download to I-Photo on my mac it plays back as described.....I will do a test run with another video and transfer it right to my HD Sony tv from the camera through the HDMI cable provided, and see if I get the same effect. I do have recourse, 90 days to return it. I can always get another camera in late January 2010 and see if they are up to 1.06 instead of the 1.03 version Arcsoft software this camera has.....Strange that Apple Store recommends this camera on their website...
MLMGoldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMGoldust View Post
Greetings-

Yes, after I download to I-Photo on my mac it plays back as described.....I will do a test run with another video and transfer it right to my HD Sony tv from the camera through the HDMI cable provided, and see if I get the same effect. I do have recourse, 90 days to return it. I can always get another camera in late January 2010 and see if they are up to 1.06 instead of the 1.03 version Arcsoft software this camera has.....Strange that Apple Store recommends this camera on their website...
Play it back to your tv,

and go to kodaks help DL the 1.06 yourself. return if you cannot be satasfied.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:55 AM   #5

It took me 18 hours to finally find an acceptable solution to process the files from the Zi8 on my computer. The software I had didn't really like these files, the PS3 would not accept them either and the packaged MediaImpression software was ridiculously slow at joining the files together or converting them to MP4 so the PS3 would play them and I could do more with them on the computer.I hope someone benefits from this solution as the processing times were killing me and I'm so pleased I found a way to sort this out and I couldn't find anyone else easily explaining how to get round this problem.

I found that you could use the Export function in Quicktime Pro to export the file to MP4 without going through the conversion process. The speed to perform this export is drastically quicker than converting the file format. This is because the Zi8 output files are H.264 MOV which can equally be contained in MP4. I don't know if this functionality is available or as user friendly in other software?

Open up your .mov file in QuickTime Pro . Click "File" at the top, then click "Export". Click the down arrow of the "Export:" box rightside and select "Movie to MPRG-4". Then click the "Options" button. Select "MP4" in the "MPEG-4 Export Settings" . Under the "Video" section, choose "Pass Through".

Unfortunately I had around 30 MOV files that I wanted to convert and I couldn’t find a way to pass through multiple files at once or easily join them together in QTP. I used this program MPEGSTREAM
http://www.squared5.com/ to open all the files at once and save them a single MOV. Worth noting that this took several minutes so joining video files is obviously time and resource intensive as well. Anyone recommend any better software to do this?

I then opened the newly saved single MOV file in QTP and passed it through. Again lesson learnt that Passthrough is unavailable if you join MOV files recorded at different resolutions on your Zi8. You can only pass through files on one resolution. I noticed this when I saw two Video Tracks in the Movie Properties in QTP.
Rather than the 14 hours I was quoted by my video converter to merge and convert my clips into a single movie, I am now watching my single movie in the same HD quality under an hour later on my PS3. I wish the Zi8 offered an MP4 output and saved all this hassle in the first place, I am going to ask Kodak if they could implement this in future firmware.

I would now like to find some simple software to remove dud parts of the movie but still save the same file quickly afterwards. Any suggestions? In the absence of any support from Kodak, I hope you find this helpful.

Derek
origrudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:17 PM   #6

You can remux the mov files to mkv (matroska) container using mkvmerge. There's no re-encoding so it's fast. You can also split the files in smaller segments too, so you may be able to remove unwanted bits this way. You can then use Yamb v2.1.0.0 beta2 to convert the mkv files to mp4, again without loss of quality. I'm not sure how you can join those mp4 files though, haven't tried it. Another option is to use mkv2vob to convert th mkv files to vob (which the PS3 is also able to play). Again there's no re-encoding, just a container format change, so it'll be fast and quality will be preserved.

Another advantage of converting to mkv: If you have an nVidia graphics card on your PC you may be able to play mkv files with nVidia Cuda acceleration enabled just by using certain codec combinations. Playing HD files with Cuda enabled will take the load off the CPU, and this will result to smoother playback especially with older systems. Have a look at my mini-guide here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ed...ml#post1024292

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by origrudeboy View Post
It took me 18 hours to finally find an acceptable solution to process the files from the Zi8 on my computer.
snip
Hi all, maybe you can advise me here. I just bought a Zi8, and I'm having terrible issues with the MOV files. I understand they are huge files, and therefore difficult to render etc, but Vegas can't seem to handle them. The files play ok in Quicktime, even the 1080p files. So my PC is powerful enough to deal with them.

I tried converting to MP4 and using the smaller 720 files. But again Vegas chokes on them.

The Zi8 files look awesome, and I just want to edit them. What can I do?
silas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:37 PM   #8

"chokes" is not a technical term. I assume you mean that Vegas won't let you import the raw .mov files at all.

First try a trick recommended by Sony: just rename the .mov extension to .mp4. This does not convert the file so no loss in quality. Then try importing the renamed file into Vegas.

This works for me using Vegas Pro, latest version (c), on a machine running Vista.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:10 AM   #9

"chokes" as in stutters and then crashes on playback and import.

I've done some research, and the widely held view is that Vegas is not suitable for Zi8 files. If you got yours working, then great, but you're in the minority.

I have since started using Magix Movie Edit Pro. This isn't a high-end program, but it handles Zi8 files beautifully. No crashes, and imports/plays the large files quite well.

And no file renaming or converting necessary. Time is precious!
silas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:21 PM   #10

Technical issues are not settled by majority vote. Researching counts is not the way. Even one working way rejects the null that Vegas and Zi8 mov files are incompatible.

There are reasons why Vegas works for some and not others - operating system, codecs, ignorance.

Did you try renaming the extension and installing Quicktime? Or are you going by forum counts?

I am not selling Vegas Pro, and it is perfectly fine to use another program. But Vegas does have very powerful capabilities that can save time in editing, once one gets it working.

And I agree that time matters, and renaming extensions is a stupid pain in the butt.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote