Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Why is the Z950 so SLOW ????

A few weeks ago I purchased the Z950 and think it's a great camera but I ended up returning it because of how slow it was between shots with flash indoors.
All my other Kodaks are very fast, Z612, Z915, C182, but my Z950 would take about 4 pictures and then go into processing mode for what seemed like about 10 seconds,,, what a pain,,, so I ended up taking it back.

Problem is I really loved everything else about the Z950 and have thought about trying another one,,,,,, would I be wasting my time ?

Did I perhaps have a bad Z950 or are they all that slow ???

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Davyo
Davyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Davyo-

When the Kodak Z-950 is used in the Smart Capture Mode, I have read that it becomes very slow indeed. Were you using it in the Samrt capture Mode?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Davyo-

When the Kodak Z-950 is used in the Smart Capture Mode, I have read that it becomes very slow indeed. Were you using it in the Samrt capture Mode?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Perhaps I was,, I was shooting indoors with flash in auto mode and Im guessing by your reply that Smart Capture is active when in auto mode,, that would make sense.

So I wonder how fast the Z950 can shoot indoor's with flash if not in Smart Capture ???

Thanks in advance
Davyo
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:22 PM   #4

Davyo-

I just tried it using my own Z-950 in the "P" for programed auto mode. There was a 5 second gap between photos taking one after the other.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Davyo-

I just tried it using my own Z-950 in the "P" for programed auto mode. There was a 5 second gap between photos taking one after the other.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you so much for testing that and the info,, very nice of you to do that.

On a side note,, Im very happy with my most recent Kodak purchase's, the Z915 and C182, both very fast camera's and great picture quality,, only bad thing is I think I have lost count on how many Kodaks I now own

Another question if I may,,, I think I saw posted that you also owned or did own the Z915,,, any difference in picture quality between the Z915 and Z950 ???

Cheers
Davyo
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:56 PM   #6

Davyo

Although the Koadak Z-915 and the Z-950 do have slightly different lenses, the image output is almost exactly the same from the two cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Davyo

Although the Koadak Z-915 and the Z-950 do have slightly different lenses, the image output is almost exactly the same from the two cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks again Sarah

I guess I will just stick with my Z915 and not re-purchase another Z950,,,I love how fast the Z915 is but wish it had the bigger 3" LCD like the Z950,, but the Z950 is just not as fast as the Z915.

Funny thing is my older Kodaks (Z612, V550) are both lighting fast while most of the newer Kodaks are just so slow due to the Smart Capture feature I guess.
In terms of speed and write time it seems like Kodak took a big step backward.
The Z915 and the C182 are the only newer Kodaks that seem not to be so slow.

CHeers
Davyo
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:12 AM   #8

Davyo-

That is why the Kodak Z-915 was named one of Cnet's 10 best cameras of 2009.Kodak has adopted the philosophy that people want more automation. That is what brought on "Smart Capture." However, that automation take time to work.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Have a great day
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:20 PM   #9

Oh, I can easily shoot 1 picture/second until the buffer fills up. Then ya get the processing message. At full resolution that is about 3-4 pics. So, If you really need to shoot more than two or three shots of the same thing at nearly the same time, best to use a DSLR, or I have a Nikon N90s film camera I'll sell you cheap. Otherwise I still think the z950 is fast enough for a walk around camera.
Thegreygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:06 PM   #10

greygeek-

We we not discussing the Burst Mode. We were discussing the flash recycle time between shots.

Sarah Joyce