Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:50 PM   #1

Default KODAK 6490 and SANDISK ULTRA SD CARD

I've just ordered a Kodak 6490 after much research. I also ordered a SANDISK ULTRA II 256 SD card to go with it. The card boasts higher transfer rates, etc.

I am now worried, because I have seen a few things on the Net that would indicate that the 6490 is not compatible with "high speed" SD cards. I checked the Kodak support site and there is a disclaimer that there is no guarantee that "high speed" cards will work with their cameras.

Has anyone tried the Sandisk Ultra II 256 SD card with the 6490?

My second choice was the Lexar 32x SD 256 card? Any problems with this card and the 6490?

Thanks in advance.

J.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:30 PM   #2

it isn't a compatability issue. the issue is that your camera will not be able to take advantage of the cards speed. it will transfer images to your card at its top speed not the cards. its a great card and its lifetime warranty and now telephone support is a definate plus.
now these below are CF cards for reference:

my EOS1Ds can't even tranfer at my cards highest rate.
even the new nikon D2H at 5MB/s doesn't hit this cards limit.

i have 2 Lexar 1GB 32x cards which tranfer no differently then my Lexar 2GB 40x card or my 2 640MB Delkin Pro cards which are about 24x. no difference. my camera transfers at about 1.9MB/s. yours will be less.

1x=150KB/s

i have an adapter that allows me to use SD cards in my CF slot if necessary.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 12:30 AM   #3

Default KODAK 6490 and SANDISK ULTRA II SD CARD

For what it's worth, I answered my own question. There is a problem with the Kodak 6490 reading Sandisk Ultra II highspeed cards. About every 4 pictures were messed up with horizontal disortion running through the photos. Sometimes when reviewing the photos, an error "unrecognized file" would pop up.

The Kodak website support section contains a disclaimer that the 6490 "may not function" with high speed cards because these cards are made for camcorders.

I'm going to try to return the card and get something else.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 12:35 AM   #4

i slid one into my SD-CF adapter and used it in amy A1 with no problems. i hope this doesn't turn into a SD compatability problem.

so much for standards.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote