Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:50 AM   #11

I just told you the way the camera is working. Not the way it is supposed to work according to the manual.

The photos in the internal memory are number 1-7 .... after that 8 and onwards is on the SD card.
losttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:53 AM   #12

:shock: Strange it doesn't work as described in the manual. Doesn't make sense. With mine I use "Auto" mode and never worry about or even use internal memory.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 1:11 AM   #13

Hmmm ... Infact, I went out to buy a SD card reader yesterday but then decided to check out the order of storage just for the heck of it.

What sucks is Kodak's attitude!! Pay $7.95 for the software that actually works. Considering that Windows 2000 SP4 was out in June'2003, you would expect them to ship the latest software that works with SP4 in December' 2003 (that is when I bought the cam)

Instead they suggest solutions like roll-back to SP3 and do an 18MB web-install!! Its a major pain point when you have a slow 56 Kbps (under ideal conditions) and that disconnects often.

I doubt the dealer will take the camera back. The standard dealer answer to such problems is "There must be something wrong with your PC"!!

Really frustrating. But I guess that is how one learns.
losttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:53 AM   #14

Sounds to me that you would not be happy with anything you buy.

Dave
davereys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:24 PM   #15

losttoy, I can feel your pain. But just relax, take good pictures, and concentrate on making your first million bucks, coz that's when you get real services Now if you don't mind, could you elaborate a bit on the image quality issue? I'm thinking about buying this cam, so this is the moment you can do the most damage to Kodak :lol:
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:36 PM   #16

losttoy - you say you are running Red Hat 9. why not use gphoto2 to get the pictures from your camera? since all the Kodaks use the PTP protocol for USB data transfers, all the EasyShare cameras work. (using it myself)
harryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttoy
I just told you the way the camera is working. Not the way it is supposed to work according to the manual.

The photos in the internal memory are number 1-7 .... after that 8 and onwards is on the SD card.
According to the manual (and in my experience) the camera keeps track of the photo number, and the next photo you take will always be one number higher than the last number photo taken, even if you change memory cards. If you shot 7 pictures with the internal memory prior to putting in a card, then they will be numbers 1 through 7. Also, the internal memory will hold more than 7 pics, even at the highest resolution. so what i said above is probably what happened.
jdbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 1:59 PM   #18

I own a Mac. Prior to loading the easyshare software I just plugged in an SD card reader to my usb port. The computer read the information just fine. My preference is to use the software that came with my computer for pictures, however I also own another Mac which I did load the easyshare software on. While it may not be the absolute greatest software it works well enough. If I don't like what I see, I can always use Photoshop which is extremely expensive but does the trick too. The Kodak software appears to be for basic editing but then it didn't cost a fortune.
tuckr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 2:07 PM   #19

I don't know if all models are the same but the numbering scheme depends on the memory you are using. That is, internal memory always starts fresh from 000_0001.JPG if wiped clean, while the memory card (even if using more than one) numbering goes sequentially from 100_0001.JPG all the way to 100_9999.JPG and then to 101_0000.JPG and so on and never repeats itself. The picture name becomes sort of a serial number - something which I like.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:27 AM   #20

Default the Kodak guy responds

OK, you have the guy who is responsible for EasyShare sw here. A couple of points:

EasyShare 3.1 (and prior) was released prior to the release ofMS Win2K SP4. That release broke our installer in a way that refuses to install properly on Win2K SP4. The details: The OS lies to the software when we ask it what is already there, so when we don't install something that is part of the MSI installer, the installer fails. This has been fixed in EasyShare 3.2 but was not done in time to impact large numbers of cameras that were on boats across the pacific ocean that had 3.1 in the box. All cameras as of January are shipping with EasyShare 3.3, which obviously has this fix in it as well.

The fixed download has been available since about 6 days after we found that SP4 broke our installer. That meant that we had to figure out what happened, engineer a solution, QA that we didn't break anything else and then release the product.

As for the $7.95 for the CD. We have t make the CD's, print the packages, pay someone to do the e-commerce, credit card processing, shipping and handling. Believe me, I make nothing on the sale of those CD's.

Next: lack of a monolythic install file. This was my decision as well, we used to have a large install file and found that it was generating WAY too many customer contacts at our call center and our email support lines. Why? Becuase th vast majority of people who downloaded the file didn't know where it went nor how to install the software. Yes, there are some sophisitcated people who know what to do, but I only have budget to release one download. The one that satisfies the vast majority of the 40K/week downloads is the one that I have to spend my money on. Woudl I like to do both? You bet, but I can't.

Next: PTP vs USB MSDC

We do use PTP for our camers, in fact Kodak was a leader in this area and wrote much of the spec. It's much better suited to digial camera connection and in fact many other camera manufacturers are moving from USB MSDC (ie: it looks like a card reader) to PTP. PictBridge is also based on the PTP transport, so you'll see lots more of it.

Any Windows OS prior to Windows XP needs a driver for a PTP device . Any windowsOS prior to windows me needs a driver for USBMSDC. Drivers are a fact of life.

The kodak drivers can be installed separately from the EasyShare software via a custom install, both from CD or from the Web. Install only the Camera Connection Software and you're all set. That will allow you to read the internal memory as well as the card. To read the internal memory, you must connect the camera to your PC. (oh, by the way, the Windows XP built-in PTP drivers have a problem with internal/card memory)
bill@kodakk is offline   Reply With Quote