Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Kodak's lousy software - Do not buy Kodak

I have two digital cameras. A small-cheap BenQ and an Olympus C-750. I take photographs and then plug the camera to the USB port of my laptop thats a dual-boot - Windows 2000 SP4 and Redhat Linux 9. Both cameras are recognised as drives by both the OSs. No additional driver required. That simple.

I buy a third Kodak 6230 as a gift. I decide to check it out before I
give it to my friend to make sure everything's alright. The first
one's flash doesn't work (good I checked). So I get another one from the dealer.

So I excitely start taking photos from the new camera and then plug it in to the laptop. Windows says, it discovered a new device and demands a driver for it.

WHY? Why can't Kodak cameras work like other cameras do? My BenQ also has internal memory (unlike the Olympus) but that didn't require a driver.

This means every PC I connect the Kodak to, I must install the
software to. Now if I am on a vacation:
1. I either carry my laptop around all the time, or
2. Carry the CD along all the time and beg the cybercafe owner to let me install the software all over the place.

Anyways, I start installing the Easyshare 3.1 software on my Windows 2000 SP4. The installation dies mid-way. I send the logs to Kodak tech support. Their wise answer, roll-back to SP3 (considering you archived) or upgrade to Easyshare 3.2.

Roll-back? And open my laptop to all sort of vulnerabilities and
instability, not to mention other softwares that might break.

Ok, so upgrade. Clickety-clickety-click and click on download software on the Kodak site. Its an 18MB download. But what do I see? Its a web-installer!! Kodak won't give you the installable in one big file.

<sarcasm>They just made life easier for me. I don't have to beg the
cybercafe owner anymore. Just download the 18MB or something software everytime I go to a cybercafe or a friend's PC.</sarcasm>

Ok, back to asking Kodak tech support for the big downloadable. Tech support says you need to buy the software from us for $7.95. Now now. Lets see, I paid for a working camera. Now I pay more to get it fixed.

Add to that cost of international shipping and a 10-15 days delay in
the arrival of the shipment. And after all this, I MUST remember to
carry the CD around me at all times or carry my laptop everywhere.

Real solution - Buy a SD card reader. Still, you have to swap the card in and out of the camera if you take large number of photos
(astrophotography or the like). What happens? In hurry, you either
damage the card or the camera SD card slot. If not in a hurry, then
over time with frequent opening of the camera SD card slot, you will
definitely damage either of the three things - the door, the card or
the slot.

As a humble customer, may I ask Kodak Inc, WHY? Why couldn't they make the camera just like every other vendor does?

My only consolation is that I won't have to suffer the camera. My
friend will

Why haven't I commented on the image quality. I have yet get it
connected to the laptop!!

Siddhartha
losttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2003, 1:40 PM   #2

Well, without trying to sound like a smartass; every device needs a driver. Do not expect windows to have a driver on the ready every time you plug a new device into it. Personally, I use the manufacturers drivers and never rely on MS to run everything with generic drivers. This goes for my video , sound, scanner/firewire card, printer, etc, etc.

On another personal note I use Mandrake 9.2 and it recognizes my DX6490 immediately. I am |___| this close to wiping my Win2000 OS off my HD as I don't need it anymore.

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:02 PM   #3

I have a Kodak DX4330 camera and I can connect it to my PC without a driver. I don't know if the DX6940 is any different. When I do so it appears as a "digital camera". DUH!! some might say. With the Kodak driver it appears as a removable drive. This is under Windows XP, so I don't know if it works the same under Windows 2000.

Anyway, I don't use the Easyshare software (never liked it - makes way too many decisions for me) or even the USB cable. I just pop the memory card into a card reader and a nifty little program I have here called Cam2PC (freeware) takes care of downloading all images.

The card reader doesn't require a driver either. Any PC with USB and Windos 98 or later will see it immediately as a removable drive.

My advice is, DO get the Kodak camera if you like it and suits your needs. DON'T even look at the software. When I got my camera I purchased it for its features, not for the software it comes with.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:36 PM   #4

Default Not Happy

Boy you are not a happy camper are you, :roll: there is no need to load any PC with the complete Easyshare software, I dont particularly
like it either so all I downloaded from it was the actual camera driver. that works 100%.

Dave
Downunder.
davereys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:41 PM   #5

actually under win2k you'll need a driver for that SD reader too possibly/most likely depending on the manufacturer.

Quote:
Real solution - Buy a SD card reader. Still, you have to swap the card in and out of the camera if you take large number of photos
(astrophotography or the like). What happens? In hurry, you either
damage the card or the camera SD card slot. If not in a hurry, then
over time with frequent opening of the camera SD card slot, you will
definitely damage either of the three things - the door, the card or
the slot
if you treat anything you own with reasonable respect you wouldn't even have to think of this. look at the cameras i own and use and i have access to others too. i never damaged these or the others using the slot. i constantly r/r CF cards from these cameras to download images. with the SD card design you have even less of a chance to harm them or you camera except maybe by dropping the camera while changing the card and that would take practice to do.

since you brought it up about killing the card remember that if the contacts on your card become suspect for corrosion DO NOT use the pink eraser on you pencil to clean them. it is abrasive and will help in the destruction of the contact that much faster.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:11 AM   #6

Default SD card reader doesn't look like much of an option

The 6230 has two modes for storage:
1. Auto - Fills up the internal memory first and then the SD card.
2. Internal Memory - Uses the internal memory only.

With a SD card reader also, I will only be able to read the SD card, so I have two options:
1. Keep the internal memory always filled up
2. Shoot n number of photographs everytime before you starting actual shooting.

Duh!! And allegedly this Kodak camera is supposed to be a no-brainer for customers!!

The image quality is inconsistent. The auto-focus doesn't work well and indoor photographs are often blurred for no reason even under proper illumination.

I am convinced I bought a lemon.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:25 AM   #7

Default Re: SD card reader doesn't look like much of an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttoy
With a SD card reader also, I will only be able to read the SD card, so I have two options:
1. Keep the internal memory always filled up
2. Shoot n number of photographs everytime before you starting actual shooting.
I dont get it. You are making it too complex. If you tell the camera to use the memory card it will ALWAYS use the memory card and only use the internal memory if there is no card inserted. Unless your model is different, Automatic mode will fill the memory card and use internal memory only if there is no card. Why don't you try it yourself?

Why are you going to only be able to read the SD card with a card reader?

Quote:
I am convinced I bought a lemon.
The image quality is a different issue, but everything else is simple enough for inexperienced users to understand. For truly novice users, the EasyShare software is probably good enough.

I recently got a non-techie person into this thing about memory cards and card readers and such after this person found that the camera had the USB cable missing. It was far easier and cheaper to ger her install a card reader and the Cam2PC software and get going than trying to find a replacement cable.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:35 AM   #8

"If you tell the camera to use the memory card it will ALWAYS use the memory card and only use the internal memory if there is no card inserted."

There is no such option!!

Let me repeat. There are two options:
1. Auto - Fills internal memory first and then then card.
2. Internal memory only - Explains itself.

So how do I read the photographs on the camera's internal memory without buying Kodak's ram-it-down-your-throat software?

I just downloaded cam2pc on my office PC. Will take it home and give it a try. Hopefully, that should help me show the finger to Kodak and there software *upgrade*.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:36 AM   #9

Ok, I went to the Kodak web site and searched for the manual of the CX6230. I found it here.

The storage mode is described like this:

Quote:
Auto (default)—the camera uses the card if one is in the camera. If not, the camera uses internal memory.

Internal—the camera always uses internal memory, even if a card is installed.
This is exactly the way they are described in the manual for my camera. So, internal memory is not used at all if you have a card inserted and leave the storage option in its defaut setting.

This is a no-brainer, my friend.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttoy
"If you tell the camera to use the memory card it will ALWAYS use the memory card and only use the internal memory if there is no card inserted."

There is no such option!!
Yes, use Auto mode and you are telling the camere to use the memory card if there is one.