Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 25, 2010, 6:29 PM   #1

Default Things Have Gone Very Quiet

Well, I think it is time to get things rolling again.

No, new Kodak cameras, but the the Z-915 and Z-950 still remain very popular. The post about a defective pixel on a Z-950 is the first problem I have heard of in over a year.

The Z-1012 is still available on E-Bay and selling for less than $160.00, a real bargain. The Z-1012 remains probably one of the best super zooms Kodak ever produced.

The Z-1012 is a very capable camera and easily shoots at ISO 800 with ease. The newer Z-915 easily shoots at ISO 1600.i have attached a Z-1012 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 9:37 PM   #2

Well, I keep trying. This was once a pretty hot folder. If anyone is wondering about the new Kodak Z-981, it is a pretty good camera. Mine arrived yesterday. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2010, 4:20 PM   #3

Default Backlit CMOS sensor....

Hi Sarah

I think you of all people should make a comparison list of all the super zooms that you have....
You seem to have a lot of them.
I just bought a SX1 - good camera IMO. I use to have a FZ38(35), I could'nt get use to it, so I sold it.
I previusly owned a G6, S5 and I also own a A590 - all from Canon.
I followed very much the discussion regarding the HS10- but decided that there was too much fuzz about it, so I did'nt buy it.
Now I'm waiting for the Noise free cam with the ultra fast capabilities and maybe also the long zoom.....
Have been looking for the SD4000 (300HS from Canon) - but, NO I think.
Have also been looking for the DSC-WX1 from Sony - it looks promising regarding noise.
Wait to see what the backlit CMOS sensor could do in future cams.
Regard from DK, Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 6:09 PM   #4

Good to hear from you, Claus-

Because the Sony WX-1 was a P+S camera with no real adjustments. I passed on it. The Sony HX-1, a super zoom, is due for a replacement model this summer, so that could be interesting as well.

The Canon SD-4000 is basically a high ISO capable camera made for the fully automatic crowd. I found the Kodak Z-981 on sale for $265.00, so I did not want to pass up the chance to take a look at it. With Amazon's bullet proof 30 day return policy, I am fully protected and can just ship it back it it is not worthwhile.

Canon-wise, I still use my S-5 super zoom daily. It does not have a wide angle, but it is still a great camera with a nice hot shoe for my EX-430 external flash unit. Ye, Claus, you are correct, I have tried just about every super zoom camera in the market and kept quite a few.

The Canon SX-20 is also due for a replacement model this summer as well. So that could offer Canon a chance to make a jump ahead of Panasonic and Fuji. It will be interesting to see what they come up with this year.

This is a big Holiday Weekend (Memorial Day) in the USA, so we went down to the port area to see the hot rod show. You can see my husband in the right hand foreground using his video camera in the attached photo. This is another Kodak Z-981 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2010, 3:46 PM   #5

MT Climber
I just bought the Kodak Z981...returned a sony 14 mp because it had the 'new' and improved, ha, ip, or whatever they call the auto macro...you cannot choose Macro. The camara chooses it for you IF it thinks that is what you are doing! That among other things were not to my needs. I also passed on the Gll. I Loved how all the things I use regularly are on the body with its own button or wheel...but, not enough mp.
Then a friend showed me Kodak, I admit I am a sony/canon snob...and hadn't looked at kodaks.
So purchased the Z981 after much thought. the 26 zoom is ok, not into zoom...but, the wide angle is great. macro is Great since I can blow up a pic of a flower and to my dismay, get all the dirt I didn't see on the petals! It is great, doesn't pixalate.
Price is right...pretty much ok so far, had it three days...hope to really use it fri and sat, my weekend. Will say more, break is over.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6

Hi there, Lisa-

Congratulations on your new Kodak Z-981. I also picked up one as you have already seen. I am very pleased with it. The areas that I use the camera most are for macro shots, family shots and zoom shots out to about 12 to 14X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:33 PM   #7

A bit of an update:

I received a Kodak Z-1015 that I purchased quite inexpensively on E-Bay yesterday (06/02). It is a Kodak "refurb" that come with a 1 year guarantee, so I am protected nicely.

The Z-1015 is a rather impressive camera. It is a 10mp variant of the Kodak Z-1015 that features added zoom (28mm to 420mm) and like the new Z-981 camera, the Z-1015 does very finely macro or close-up shots as well. I will know more as I work with the camera, but thus far, this less than $100 delivered camera has been quite impressive. I was doing photos for E-Bay sales yesterday and here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:38 PM   #8

So far, the Z981 does not have a way to turn off review...so far as I can find...if anyone else can find a way please explain. There is no explanation for it in any manual, nor is it mentioned online anywhere. Sigh. I like it for a brief second, not as long as it comes out of the box, something like six.
At any rate, I do like the pics I am getting with it.Am amazed at how the pixels degrade quickly with my alpha 1 compared to the kodak.
I also use it mainly for close ups of flowers and bugs, like to see their tiny hairs. Haven't caught any neat bugs yet...yet. Like the crawlies won't fly away then.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:48 AM   #9

Sarah,
I am in the hunt for a new superzoom. The 981 seems like a very good value. Does it have a diopter adjustment? As a glasses wearer, I need it.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:56 AM   #10

Lisa-

No, you cannot turn off the review, but you can reduce the time it is displayed.

pboerger-

No, there is no diopter adjustment on the Z-981, but I found it very easy to use and I too wear glasses.

The zoom camera that is a "sleeper" in the Kodak line is without a doubt, the 10X optical zoom, Z-915, which you often find for less than $100. No viewfinder, but wonderfully sharp, and it has an uncanny ability to use higher ISO settings without much noise, all in a very small form factor.

Sarah Joyce