Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Default I have a few questions about my Z1275

I have an old Canon digicam, so I decided to upgrade and buy a (used) Kodak Z1275. There are a few annoying things about it, and I was wondering if theres any way to change them. I want it to be able to do the things my old camera did, which was older and lower end than the Kodak.

Every time I put in new batteries, it forgets the date/time and you have to re-enter it. This seems ridiculous to have to do on any newer camera. Is there any way to change this?

I installed the Easy Share software that comes with it. I am using Windows XP. When I plug the camera into the computer, I want it to transfer the photos to my hard drive, which it does. However:

It puts them in a folder called 6-3-2010, whereas Id rather the folder be called 2010-6-3. I can change this, but it seems to revert to the m-d-y scheme each time it transfers, and I have to change it each time. Is there a way to change the default?

All of the photo files on the hard drive have a modified date of when they were transferred. I want their file date to be the date they were taken. Is there a way to change this?

I dont want to use the Easy Share program for anything other than transferring files. After it transfers them, it puts the files into its collection, which takes a while and wastes time (and probably takes disk space for some sort of database). Is there a way to stop it from putting the files into its collection? Or is there a way to transfer the files without Easy Share?

If I do have to use Easy Share, is there a way to avoid always having the program run in the background of my computer? It starts when the computer boots up and always remains there, taking up computer resources even if I only transfer files from the camera once every few weeks. If I close the program and then connect the camera, nothing happens. It should be configured so that it starts automatically when you connect the camera, just like my old Canon.

Thanks in advance for any help!
John
2sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2

John-

Firstly, get rid of the Kodak EasyShare software. At the outset, don't let it start until you are ready for it, as it is a huge drag on your computer resources. Use an inexpensive card reader and don't download from the camera to the computer. That will let you name the files as desired. There are lots of free software programs out there like Picasa and Photoscape that can fill in for the EasyShare software.

The Z1275 may need an internal battery replacement. The internal battery is the item that supplies power to the day and date when the camera is turned off. It is an easy replacement. Currently, your camera is depending on the batteries for keeping the day/date correct, and when you change the batteries, you have to re-set the clock.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sassy View Post
Every time I put in new batteries, it forgets the date/time and you have to re-enter it. This seems ridiculous to have to do on any newer camera. Is there any way to change this?

I installed the Easy Share software that comes with it. I am using Windows XP. When I plug the camera into the computer, I want it to transfer the photos to my hard drive, which it does. However:

It puts them in a folder called 6-3-2010, whereas Id rather the folder be called 2010-6-3. I can change this, but it seems to revert to the m-d-y scheme each time it transfers, and I have to change it each time. Is there a way to change the default?

All of the photo files on the hard drive have a modified date of when they were transferred. I want their file date to be the date they were taken. Is there a way to change this?

I dont want to use the Easy Share program for anything other than transferring files. After it transfers them, it puts the files into its collection, which takes a while and wastes time (and probably takes disk space for some sort of database). Is there a way to stop it from putting the files into its collection? Or is there a way to transfer the files without Easy Share?

If I do have to use Easy Share, is there a way to avoid always having the program run in the background of my computer? It starts when the computer boots up and always remains there, taking up computer resources even if I only transfer files from the camera once every few weeks. If I close the program and then connect the camera, nothing happens. It should be configured so that it starts automatically when you connect the camera, just like my old Canon.

Thanks in advance for any help!
John
Date reset upon battery change - Yes the issue is correctable but it will take a trip to the repair shop which will cost more than the camera. Kodaks use a small rechargeable cell (it charges off of the main batteries) and after about 3 years it will no longer hold a charge hence the date reset. I've learned to reset the date/time in about thirty seconds.

A fairly large number of us in this forum don't use the Easyshare software at all. We use a memory card in our cameras and take the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader to transfer the photos to whatever folder we desire on the computer.

The date created is a XP file function. There may be a utility somewhere that can change that date. However looking at photos on the computer in front of me now the date modified seems to track the date the photo was taken.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:10 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the replies

Thank you, ac.smith and mtclimber, for you replies. I have taken your advice and decided not to use Easy Share at all. I will plug the memory card into my computer, and I have already written a batch file to create a new folder named after today's date and copy all the files from the card to the folder.

It looks like one area of disagreement between your two posts is how hard it would be to replace the small internal battery that remembers the date. mtclimber, if it's easy to replace, as you suggest, do you have any instructions of how I might go about this?

thanks again!
John
2sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:52 PM   #5

I'll defer to Sarah on this one. She may well have better source than I. The very few specific references I've seen tend to quote $150 standard disassembly fee plus parts. Since my Z612 is now my backup and Li-Ion batteries hold charges extremely well the value I'd place on fixing the problem is quite low.

A. C.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:40 PM   #6

John-

The key issue is that the battery is indeed inside the camera structure. That is why (a) the cost for replacement is large. And (2) there is no published replacement diagram and/or procedure published. Lord knows, I searched extensively for it.

Therefore the only work around that I can think of is (a) to put up with the hassle of clock resetting. or (b) if indeed AA batteries are the power source, use eneloop batteries that need less replacement frequency, and to replace then separately so that the clock is never totally without a power source.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:44 PM   #7

Is there no dock available for this model? I always docked my Kodak cameras to avoid stresses on the battery doors. Never remove the battery it never resets.

I am in the minority here but I like EasyShare. It has its quirks for sure but once you know them and how they relate to your specific system I think it can be quite workable.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
Is there no dock available for this model? I always docked my Kodak cameras to avoid stresses on the battery doors. Never remove the battery it never resets.
Steve
The Z1275 & Z1285 use the Camera Dock Series 3 ( http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.168643700) however Kodak US is out of stock but you can probably find one with a web search. Amazon, for instance seems to have sources for both new and used docks.

By the way if you don't have Kodak's Extended Users Guide you can download it from Kodak and that's were I started my search.

A. C.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:52 AM   #9
Administrator

You'll probably have better luck finding the Camera Dock Series 3 Kit versus the dock by itself.

Adorama has it for $35.79 right now:

http://www.adorama.com/IKKCD3K.html

Ditto for B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_1065556.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
...The date created is a XP file function. There may be a utility somewhere that can change that date. However looking at photos on the computer in front of me now the date modified seems to track the date the photo was taken.

A. C.
Yes, you're right there is software to change the date. Actually, you may need two programs to do this. I have these at my home computer (at work right now) and are freeware, but the names escape me at the moment...sorry! But, I have to use a program to change the date Windows generates when moving the file to the computer. However, you will also need software that will allow you to change the date the actual picture was taken, embedded in the EXIF data. If I can think to look at what programs I use when I get home, I'll post back.

-Mark
grywolf627 is offline   Reply With Quote