Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:48 PM   #1

Default Z1012 IS AF not working properly

When I am somewhat close to a subject, the AF function does not want to work. I keep getting the red AF signal. I click anyway and of course, my subject is blurry. I have tried continuous and single AF, nothing. I have tried AF zone, multi, center and selectable. Nothing. It was fine for a couple of days. It just stated doing this. I am not sure just what I am doing wrong. I didnt have this problem with my z740…help! Should I contact the ebay seller. She does have a 3 day return policy.

I have heard so many great things with this camera…I don’t understand this…

Oh, I took a closeup of the dog with the AF not focused and it turned out fine...I am so confused.

I was trying to take a zoom shot of small flowers in a bunch...it is fine otherwise...

Curious, the flowers are fairly bright right now...

Last edited by Rosy; Jul 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM. Reason: tried to add a photo, couldnt figure out how`
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:06 PM   #2

Default photo examples

The pink silk flowers: 5.85 mm, ISO 64, 1/30 sec, f2.8, 0 EV

The yellow silk flower: 16.2 mm, ISO 64, 1/30 sec, f3.2, 0 EV
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:13 AM   #3

Rosy-

You must keep in mind that when the distance from camera to subject becomes 30 inches, or less, you must switch the camera over to the Macro or close-up mode. Look at the three square buttons behind the shutter release on the Z-1012. On the mid position button you will find the Macro or Close-up Mode whose symbols is a small tulip.

When your camera to subject distance is 30 inches or less, use that button to switch to the Macro Mode and the camera will focus just fine. Here is an example photo taken with the Z-1012, using the macro Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 2:41 PM   #4

Default Using macro does the trick

Hi Sarah,

I posted this same question on another forum and got the same answer. I put the Z1012 in macro mode and the camera focused just fine. Below is an example. I am glad the camera is working, I was just a little bit freaked that it was defective.

Curious though, I tried to take a pic of the silk flower arrangement from the front in macro mode and the Z1012 wouldnt focus. However, I was able to get the camera to focus when I took the pic from the side. Is this just "too busy" for the camera? It seems to focus fine on other things. The Z740 didnt seem to have that difficult a time focusing on this arrangement.
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:04 PM   #5

Rosy-

I also answered your question over on the DPR Kodak Forum as well. Just remember that the ability of your camera to focus is dependent on the ambient lighting. Focusing is also a bit slower in the Macro Mode. So you may want to turn on a few more lights to allow focusing on a subject from a certain angle.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:10 PM   #6

By the way your in-focus shot is very nice indeed.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote