Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Kodak Z-950 Delay/Slowness

I would like to clear up a big misunderstanding about the Z-950 camera. There have been multiple reports of excessive delays after rapidly taken 3 photos.

That delay is caused by the Fully Automatic Mode (the little red camera icon) employing a combination of Smart Capture and Perfect Touch post processing that slows down the camera through put measurably.

There is indeed a very simple work-around to eliminate that delay. Shoot the camera in the "P" or Program mode, which works just like Full Automatic, but eliminates the Smart Capture/ Perfect Touch post processing cycle and that delay is eliminated. If you want to add the Perfect Touch post processing, it can be done manually, using the menu, while reviewing your photos.

The Z-950 is a great little camera that is now selling at Amazon for just $110.95. Unfortunately it has gotten a bad reputation simply due users not understanding how the camera is set-up and operates. The issue could have been easily solved if the users just thoroughly read the Manual.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

The Z-950 is a great little camera that is now selling at Amazon for just $110.95. Unfortunately it has gotten a bad reputation simply due users not understanding how the camera is set-up and operates. The issue could have been easily solved if the users just thoroughly read the Manual.

Sarah Joyce
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... sounds like that could fit a few other cameras as well
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:24 PM   #3

Quote:
......if the users just thoroughly read the Manual.
A very polite way of saying RTFM!
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:55 AM   #4

Quote:
I would like to clear up a big misunderstanding about the Z-950 camera. There have been multiple reports of excessive delays after rapidly taken 3 photos.

That delay is caused by the Fully Automatic Mode (the little red camera icon) employing a combination of Smart Capture and Perfect Touch post processing that slows down the camera through put measurably.

There is indeed a very simple work-around to eliminate that delay. Shoot the camera in the "P" or Program mode, which works just like Full Automatic, but eliminates the Smart Capture/ Perfect Touch post processing cycle and that delay is eliminated. If you want to add the Perfect Touch post processing, it can be done manually, using the menu, while reviewing your photos.

Sarah Joyce
SJ, I think you give great advice but I still have to say that I had this camera for the 15-day grace period and returned 2 units during that time. I tried everything from non-auto to non-flash and nothing worked for me. It could be that I had both units from the same store.....if you'd like to try this camera, make sure you try it for this issue right away to avoid paying restocking fees if you can't workaround the problem.
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5

KW-

I just learned this evening that another way to circumvent that "processing delay" is to select the 9.0mp 16:9 format, which again removes the Smart Capture/Perfect Touch processing.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6

Quote:
KW-

I just learned this evening that another way to circumvent that "processing delay" is to select the 9.0mp 16:9 format, which again removes the Smart Capture/Perfect Touch processing.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, SJ. I looked all over the online Kodak manuals for the z950 and I couldn't find anything about not using auto to speed up processing.....how did you find that out too? I think you have secret info
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:48 PM   #7

KW-

I have worked in the Photographic field for years. I am also a professional Digital Camera Instructor. I teach for our local Community College, as well as our state university. I own two Z-950 cameras. When complaints regarding the "processing screen" came up. I began experimenting with my own Z-950 cameras.

Sarah Joyce