Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Z980 Beginners Guide

Just got mine and am looking for a beginners guide.
Chester Ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:05 PM   #2

Chester-

Please understand that these "Beginner's Guides" are something that I personally sit down and write myself. I am a professional digital camera instructor and do these guides to help newbies.I have to get hold of a Z-980 camera to write the guide. The guides are not something we have on the shelf ready to go.

Right now my severely handicapped husband of 53 years is having a very difficult time. So as his full time care-giver, my spare time has been very limited in the past week. I hope you will understand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:17 PM   #3

Default Re: Z980 Beginners Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Chester-

Please understand that these "Beginner's Guides" are something that I personally sit down and write myself. I am a professional digital camera instructor and do these guides to help newbies.I have to get hold of a Z-980 camera to write the guide. The guides are not something we have on the shelf ready to go.

Right now my severely handicapped husband of 53 years is having a very difficult time. So as his full time care-giver, my spare time has been very limited in the past week. I hope you will understand.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, being new to the Kodak forum and just getting my first Kodak digital camera I was only trying to get some help to get the most from my Z980. I certainly was not trying to put you or any other forum user on the spot or in an uncomfortable position. I had seen other Kodak camera beginners guide posted and just thought someone might have one for the Z980 that they might share.

Chester Ludlow
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:41 PM   #4

Hi Chester,

I have recently got my Z981. I suggest you read the manual (extended) on Kodak website and also their "Learn" (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=el_GR) section. It has some nice tips for beginners like us. Additionally, here are a couple websites which I found, which have a lot of reading material for beginners on the fundamentals of photography:

Directory type with many links:
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/photography/

Digital Photography School (with lots of tips and guides/tutorials):
http://digital-photography-school.com/

Photography composition theory:
http://photoinf.com/

I believe they have adequate information and material for a month's reading in order for us to learn the basics. Z980 standalone guide wouldn't differ from these guides after the initial manual reading, although I have found that Sarah's guide on Z950 (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ko...950-today.html) is also good for Z980 until you go above 10x!

Hope it helps,

Sakis
sakisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Default Re: Z980 Beginners Guide

Sakis, thanks for the great tips and web sites.

Chester
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:29 AM   #6

The best way to figure out your new camera? Is to play with it and all the buttons you have on it. The extended users guide Kodak has online helps...But, only actually practicing with the camera do you get an idea of what it can do.

IF you have an idea, knowledge on how cameras work, speed, aperture, ISO, then those things are pretty obvious on the camera...
If you do Not know these things...a beginners guide of any kind, even another kodak would help...they use similar icons and wording.

I bought the Z981, and love it. Also have A bunch of sony's last one being the H50 which is great too. And am thinking about the Alpha 850 at 24mpixels....yummy. Have an alpha 100...sorta...bf has it and don't think I will get to use it much...LOL.

Me? I do bugs, flowers, close up and macro and arty odd stuff. Things which catch my internal eye. Oh, and the odd typical waterfall and scenic stuff too.
Enjoy playing with it...it is how I found the joy in it.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:05 PM   #7

Sarah:

Not to steal the OP's thread but sorry to hear that your husband's having a a rough time. Our thoughts and prayers for both of you.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:57 AM   #8

Thank you very much, AC-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote