Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:34 PM   #1

Default Jost got a Zi6, can't upgrade firmware.

I just got a used Zi6 off of ebay. It works and all, despite it's warp drive like power consumption, but I can't upgrade it's firmware. It's on 1.10. I put the firmware upgrade on the root of an SD card like the Kodak website said, but when I go to try and update it, I can't select the firmware version like it says on the website. It says select the firmware version with the joystick, but... that's not working. It just scrolls through the three options available.

Kodak is of no help in resolving this...
Anarchist86ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure you unzipped the file first (you'll need to copy the extracted .bin file to the root of the SD card, not the .exe file you download). By default, when you run the .exe file you download and click on the unzip button, it will place the .bin file in a Kodak folder for you on your hard drive. That's the file (dvs167.bin *not* the dvs167.exe you downloaded) that you need to copy to the root of your memory card.

In most cases when a camera doesn't recognize that you've got new firmware available on the memory card, it's because someone did not copy the actual firmware file (a .bin file in the case of your model) to the root directory, or copied it to a folder on the card instead of the card's root. See the instructions on this page:

http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/serv...&pq-path=14091
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3

Yes, put the .bin on the root. Camera does nothing...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

1 do you have to make a folder called "SYSTEM or SYSTEMS"

just looked on the sites page

it must be to the root file, so does that mean you have o load it to the dcim/kodaks folder and where the files are at?

I am sur no harm can be done if you try it a few ways. the support is not of one person but many try recalling back and getting some one that is management level.

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:44 PM   #5

I tried following the steps for upgrading the Zi8, figuring it might not be much different, it doesn't work. System folder doesn't work.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:44 PM   #6

I chatted online with Kodak and they are a IBot not a real person. so thati s what I get out of them LMAO!.

You are probably missing something very simple. when they said in the root of the Sd card, does that mean No folder on the sd card? My brain works one day, and not the other , sorry.

Or

Does it mean load into the DCIM, then the Kod100 (if thatis a folder name and then the file.
and deffently the name of the Bin, it could be wrong
?