Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:34 AM   #1

Default Kodak ZI8 Factory Setting Restore.

Hi People, I'm newbbie ZI8 owner. I like this cam but unfortunately after downgrading and upgrading the firmware I've accidentally modified the "AAA Test" item.
After variuos tried I understood that this is the white balance, so I restored it pointed and shot a white paper.
So this item is setted to a green "OK".
I noticed in the SD CARD a file called AAA.csv and I opened it with a notepad, so I saw the parameter setted but I don't know if it's all right.
Does anyone of you know how to restore the default factory parameters ?.
I downloaded a file called ZI8_106_fw_strings.txt when you can see all the firmware parameters but the only thing I found is a probably file called factory.txt.
I don't know very much of this cam ( I bought yesterday..) so if anyone know how to restore factory default please help me.
Below the link for the files I talked before.

http://hotfile.com/dl/106736811/5671...rings.zip.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/106736948/26afd45/AAA.csv.html

Thanks in advance.
Roberto.

Last edited by rober1967; Feb 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM. Reason: attached links
rober1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:00 PM   #2

try to reinstall firmware
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:57 AM   #3

A saying:

If it is not broken leave it alone.

And

Let lying dogs lay.

Before I suggest and recommend, where did you get the cam,and will you be able to return it, if not, b &h photo and kmart are selling the zi8 for 80-90 .

You have voided your warranty for starters, and kodak will charge you for the repairs, at premimum charges [spell me]

1 what made you go into the test. Settings that are by holdig three specific buttons?

2. Once you go off the path right click or even changing just one. Thing, even writing it dow, you need to correctly finalize with a spacific move .

3.whitebalance: you cannot take any paper, it has to be a lab, 2600k white,there are various papers in many colors an density. White, black are needed, to counter acr, displaying pixals, etc.
A distance om 1m 38.4 inchs will be the proper ditance as cam must be precisly a correct distance.especially lighting.

4. To get back the settings test. Settings do not have a absolute thing to firmware. Once you change test setting, the cam must be rest and bios cleared . Loading firmware. Will nnot reflash, no matter what you do if you notice the check box if it accepts great but it doesn't. You can only reflash in the test by;

Going down to the next page and center mouse twice. Not responsable for typo .

With all that said } suggest a swap.

1 where purchased, return, knowing you'll say ebay.
2. Placing 100 and swapping from the above

You have your option I recommend not fooling with the cam
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:52 PM   #4

hi Roberto.

i did the same thing when i tried to downgrade the firmware. i did a video about it which kodak watched. they got there engineers in america to do the same thing. they said that those settings could not be reset and that it should work ok with the latest firmware reinstalled onto the camera.

i did that but still had a few issues. in the end i brought another one.

i agree with fishycomics. see if you can return it or get it replaced. if that fails you could try kodak but they will probably tell you to go back to the place you brought it from.

i hope you get it sorted.

chrisc74
chrisc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:08 PM   #5

Hi fischycomics.
I think the camera it's not broken. I wish know what is the "AAA Test" if you discover please tell me.
I've go into the test holding "waste bin" and "camera" button while powering on the Zi8 and this because
I downgrade to 1.05 from 1.06 just to make a test. After this I upgraded definitively to 1.06 and entered
in item "AAA Test". I turned off the camera but when I restart the cam and checked this option I saw the infamous "NG" word after this.
So i recalibrate successfully only pointing the cam to the sky for this I think it's white balance test.

You' re right "not fooling with the cam" but my curiosity is too much...I know curiosity killed the cat..(not in this case...injury maybe..)
So the cam seems to be ok. I bought it on Amazon and I've 30 days to return it, but I think I'll take it.
I post a couple of photo and a video.
Tell me your opinion.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OGO9Z90
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V0HKQ6EY
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1FTIAEWE

Thanks.
Roberto.
rober1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:48 PM   #6

Correct your cam is not broke,
Wrong you restructured your cam, you cannot get back 100% your cams true files, why we leave alone.

the pics and vids look good, not a Blue clear sky day

your option, and take our advice if you got $$$ to burn by all means go right ahead. but be like us enjoy what you got.

I do not refuse, just wil lnot monkey around with the settings.