Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:55 PM   #1

Default Frozen lens on my z8612

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I have a z8612, which I absolutely love, but last week when I attempted to take my 12,500th picture with it, it froze up. I can get it to turn on, then it shuts off again immediately, when I attempt to take a picture. I've replaced the battery, (bought a brand new one and a new charger to boot). Have taken out the memory card, and am really tempted to try some percussion diagnostics on it. The only thing Kodak has said to me it, you need to send it in for repair or replace it.
My next step is to try contact cleaner on the battery contacts, then a compressed air blowout at the lens. Any other suggestions, would be much appreciated.
I'm currently using an older Kodak camera we have, but feel as if there is a necessary appendage missing with not being able to take pictures with my camera. And I can't afford to either repair or replace it at the moment.

Any help/suggestions, gratefully accepted.

Sid
cowichansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2

Hi Sid-

Well, you are approaching this problem just as I would:

(1) Clean the battery contacts

(2) Blow out the lens extension barrel

But you have to also understand that after 12,500 shots you may have indeed reached a point where a mechanical failure has taken place internally, making the restoration of operational status doubtful without an actual physical repair.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to find out what the upper limit is on actual exposures that you can take with a camera before it is 'worn out'. I'm thinking that maybe I have just worn it out. I know that with some of the high end camera's you can take upwards of 100K exposures before the mechanical workings wear out.
What are your thoughts on buying a refurbished camera? I really love this camera, even if there isn't a view finder in it. And also, I'm frugal, I've got a lot of batteries, cables, and other accessories, so I would prefer the same kind of camera again.

Sid
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:31 PM   #4

Sid-

There are more than 6 used Z8612 cameras on E-Bay selling for between $60 and $90. I am sure they have many fewer "clicks." At that price it is cheaper to purchase a replacement, than to repair your current camera, which has probably worn out. The is the solution I would investigate. That way you could continue to use the accessory items you already own.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:11 PM   #5

Thank you. I've been looking for a replacement for it. As it is, Kodak says they will attempt to repair it, but there are no guarantees. I'm looking at a refurbished one on Amazon right now.

Sid
Old May 10, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6

I now have a refurbished z8612, and have started taking pictures with it. However, it's not quite as nice as my original one, but for now it works.
In the meantime, I'm starting to save my pennies, nickels and quarters, lol, because I'd really like to get another camera that I can change lenses on.
Attached Images

Last edited by cowichansid; May 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: adding a picture I took with my refurbished camera.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:50 PM   #7

Try taking out all batteries, then hold the Power-on button for about 20 sec

In the hope that if it's electronic logic error, this action would reset the camera (make it forget all previous errors).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 1:35 PM   #8

Thank you, tried it, and it didn't work. But, I appreciate the help.