Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11
Default New to 6490--queries??

Hi
I have just purchased a DX 6490. It was a choice between this and the Minolta Z1 and I chose this because of the pixel size.
I have 2 questions. Can I take stills from the Movie mode?I photo dogs jumping obstacles so this would be a great option and one the minolta does do.
Also we noticed that the file size even on best quality is very small--495 kb in some cases--surely for a 4 meg camera this is ridiculous.
I have the option to return this camera and change it for the Z1 which i don't want to if I get the right answers as I feel the Kodak is much better quality.

Thanks

Rosie
Rosiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:42 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 27
Default

I haven't been too impressed with the quality of the movie mode on the dx6490. It does not appear to be up to the quality of the stills (someone correct me if I am wrong). Could the burst mode be used to photograph the dogs, or is the delay too great?

As for the file size, I believe it has been noted that the camera uses a higher rate of compression than some other cameras, but the consensus seems to be that it does not greatly affect quality.
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
koruvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 439
Default

Personally, I did a lot of homework in the 10x Zoom catagory and think the DX6490 is the best out their.

- Color is spot on.
- Compression size is a bonus as you can fit 300+ 4.0MP photos on a 256MB card, plus 16MB of onboard memory. Compression does not affect quality.
- Very easy to use.
- Excellent Auto (yes, Auto!) White Balance.
- slightly wider range of shutter speeds
- battery although proprietory is better than AA solutions, I can fill the 256MB card and then some before the battery needs a full charge.

here are some scaled examples: http://www.juetts.com/6490/

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:40 PM   #4
Member
 
feetr2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 37
Default Me too!

The 6490 simply rocks. Compression does indeed affect quality, as jpeg is NOT a lossless format. I look for Kodak to address this in a future firmware upgrade. As for the quality of stills captured from movie mode, with only a 320 x 240 (eight one-hundredths of a mega pixel), there is simply no way to print stills unless you plan to print wallet size photos. As for capturing stills for on-screen use, you will notice the difference. You will also need video editing software to capture them in the first place. EasyShare wasn't meant for that.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
koruvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 439
Default

From my DX6490 I have made prints from 4x6 to 13x19 that look every bit as detailed and sharp as the prints made from the Nikon CP5700 I had...some of the CP5700 prints were from RAW images. I used my Canon S9000 for all prints.

So far (after 1100+ photos) the 'compression issue' has not affected me. If anything the compression is better as I can fit 300+ 4.0MP photos on my 256MB card and 16+ more in the internal memory.

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:23 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruvs
Personally, I did a lot of homework in the 10x Zoom catagory and think the DX6490 is the best out their.

- Color is spot on.
- Compression size is a bonus as you can fit 300+ 4.0MP photos on a 256MB card, plus 16MB of onboard memory. Compression does not affect quality.
- Very easy to use.
- Excellent Auto (yes, Auto!) White Balance.
- slightly wider range of shutter speeds
- battery although proprietory is better than AA solutions, I can fill the 256MB card and then some before the battery needs a full charge.

here are some scaled examples: http://www.juetts.com/6490/

-
Your photos appear on my 17" computer monitor to look just great, and you say the Kodak DX6490's severe jpeg compression does not seem to affect image quality... Have you tried to print a 5X7 or 8X10 to really see how good the quality of the image is? I print far more than I email and am trying to decide whether to buy the 6490 vs the much more expensive and soon to be discontinued Nikon 5700. I don't need the 5700's TIFF or RAW but I think (perhaps unwisely) that a more substantial jpeg file like the Nikon's would produce noticeably superior 5X7 or 8X10 prints compared to what the Kodak can produce. Again, I'm looking for print quality rather than email quality........Vince
bagmanandblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
Default Re: New to 6490--queries??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiei
Hi
I have just purchased a DX 6490. It was a choice between this and the Minolta Z1 and I chose this because of the pixel size.
I have 2 questions. Can I take stills from the Movie mode?I photo dogs jumping obstacles so this would be a great option and one the minolta does do.
Also we noticed that the file size even on best quality is very small--495 kb in some cases--surely for a 4 meg camera this is ridiculous.
I have the option to return this camera and change it for the Z1 which i don't want to if I get the right answers as I feel the Kodak is much better quality.

Thanks

Rosie
Just wondering how you've made out thusfar with the compressed jpeg file size of the Kodak DX6490........have you been able to print out great 5x7 and 8X10 images or has Kodak's severe jpeg compression compromised the quality of your prints. Thought I'd ask before I buy the 6490 vs the Nikon 5700. Vince
bagmanandblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
Default Re: Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetr2c
The 6490 simply rocks. Compression does indeed affect quality, as jpeg is NOT a lossless format. I look for Kodak to address this in a future firmware upgrade. As for the quality of stills captured from movie mode, with only a 320 x 240 (eight one-hundredths of a mega pixel), there is simply no way to print stills unless you plan to print wallet size photos. As for capturing stills for on-screen use, you will notice the difference. You will also need video editing software to capture them in the first place. EasyShare wasn't meant for that.
Am seriously considering buying the 45% more expensive and very soon to be discontinued Nikon 5700 vs the Kodak 6490. The big decider is how good of a 5X7 and 8X10 print can I get from the 6490's aggressive jpeg compression.........will the quality of a smaller jpeg file be very noticeable (I wouldn't use TIFF or RAW anyway)? Vince
bagmanandblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11
Default

Hi

I kept the Kodak 6490 and it has been superb--I have printed some stunning A4 size prints and the resolution/colour is brilliant--I have just taken 30 pics in the snow and no-one can fault them--My husband has a Canon EOS 60D (6 million pixels) and its hard with a naked eye to tell the difference ,although obviously there would be.
I am truly happy with my purchase---I also have taken several shots in continuos mode of my dogs jumping over jumps(I do dog agility) and I'm amazed at the results and battery power is !00% as well I highly recomend it

Rosie
Rosiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 438
Default Re: Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmanandblondie
The big decider is how good of a 5X7 and 8X10 print can I get from the 6490's aggressive jpeg compression.........will the quality of a smaller jpeg file be very noticeable (I wouldn't use TIFF or RAW anyway)? Vince
My suggestion is to go and print a sample image from one of sites that review this particular camera or better yet, take a memory card with you and try it yourself in a store that sells it.

I have a DX4330 (same family but only 3 MP) and I have printed 8x10 and 5x7 with excellent results (not from my home printer but from a Fuji Frontier minilab nearby). And this camera is also known for its aggressive compression.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.