Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 15, 2004, 4:13 AM   #1

Default Add on flash for 6490

Hi everyone, first time on the forum so be gentle!

Just got the 6490, love it, learning the ropes and all that, but just wondered about the external add on flash. Has anyone used one? Is it worth getting? The indoor shots I have been taking are OK, but if I start to shoot indoors more, (and with the UK weather at the moment, looks like that is the case! ) then I think I will need the extra help. Is it just a standard connector that I can buy anywhere? Do I need to get a holding bracket?

Also, any new updates on additional lenses? Over here in the UK we are always so far behind on information, seems that the US and Australia get all the goodies first!

Thanks!
sniperonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:34 PM   #2

Hi Sniper...

I purchased a Sunpak strobe and a bracket. It connects to my camera via a sync cord. It allows me to bounce flash, to reduce red-eye and to give a much better modelling light on my indoor subjects. Is it worth getting? Definitely! Here's a little shot of my outfit. I hope this works but if not, I'll provide a link:

leushino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:00 PM   #3

This sounds great to me, could you provide the link my friend as I can't see the image...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4

That's strange... I can see the image above. Hmmm? Okay... try this link:

http://www.geocities.com/walin4651/page15
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

That is excellent many thanks for that. Will be visiting my local shop tomorrow!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 5:31 PM   #6

Great.

Oh... you asked about additional lenses. The information I have here is that Kodak are planning on introducing an adaptor in February. Hopefully a wideangle lens will follow although at this time I personally want a couple of filters (i.e. polarizer and UV). Anyway, when it happens I'll try to remember to post about it. Good luck with the flash and bracket. You won't regret it.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:54 AM   #7

Great news, I am over in the US in Feb so hopefully I can pick up the new lenses while I am over there...it will no doubt take an age to come over to the UK!

Just to let you know, I picked up a flash unit this weekend and i am having some fun testing it out. Hope to post some shots soon!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:46 PM   #8

Great. Look forward to seeing your pics. You're going to find the bracket a very welcome tool. I love mine since it lets me hold the camera with greater stability.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:16 PM   #9

Default vivtar 285 or 283

anybody using these addon flashes for Dx 6490. howz the performance. which is better

thanx

sanil
sanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:26 AM   #10

Most of the folks over at the Kodak dpreview forum use an external flash. It's the only way to go if you want decent modelling light, bounce flash, a bit more power and a great bracket to better handhold your camera. I find the camera a bit small for my hands but with the bracket I can get a really great grip on it. I've always used add-on flashes anyway... back in my Minolta, Pentax, Yashica, Nikon days.... ah... those were the days.