Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

Default DX6440 Add On Lenses

This is my first digi cam - had it for 3 weeks now - & enjoying it.
I'm thinking about buying the Kodak Retinar 37mm Wide Angle (.06x) & Retinar 37mm Tele (2x) lenses (plus required adapter), but I have several questions I'd appreciate some help with:
1. With either of these lenses attached, would I still have zoom capability?
2. Do these lenses produce pictures as sharp as the camera's Schneider lens? If not, how much deterioration should I expect?
3. Will the viewfinder & the LCD Display show me what the added lens is seeing, or is it a composition crapshoot?
4. Does the camera make any necessary settings adjustments or do I have to make any adjustments?
5. Can I still use the various camera modes (auto, sport, night, portrait, landscape, macro, PAS, movie, flash) when using these lenses?
6. Do the lenses block the viewfinder and/or LCD display?
7. Anything else I should be concerned about but forgot to ask?

I appreciate your input. Thanks
Treadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 2:17 PM   #2

Default Re: DX6440 Add On Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadman
I'm thinking about buying the Kodak Retinar 37mm Wide Angle (.06x) & Retinar 37mm Tele (2x) lenses (plus required adapter), but I have several questions I'd appreciate some help with:
2. Do these lenses produce pictures as sharp as the camera's Schneider lens? If not, how much deterioration should I expect?
3. Will the viewfinder & the LCD Display show me what the added lens is seeing, or is it a composition crapshoot?
4. Does the camera make any necessary settings adjustments or do I have to make any adjustments?
5. Can I still use the various camera modes (auto, sport, night, portrait, landscape, macro, PAS, movie, flash) when using these lenses?

I have used the wide ange lens attachment and it is sharp enough, the image can be seen thru the lcn although I think the viewfinder is obstructed a bit. I would not recommend it for use indorrs with flash though. Alos yeas, the zoom works.
stephen_lumsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 2:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_lumsden
Quote:

I have used the wide ange lens attachment and it is sharp enough, the image can be seen thru the lcn although I think the viewfinder is obstructed a bit. I would not recommend it for use indorrs with flash though. Alos yes, the zoom works.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 2:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have used the wide ange lens attachment and it is sharp enough, the image can be seen thru the lcn although I think the viewfinder is obstructed a bit. I would not recommend it for use indorrs with flash though. Alos yes, the zoom works.
Additionally to see an example, see :-) below (have patience ,this is my first time on this forum, or any forum for that matter..)http://www.pbase.com/image/26829016
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, Stephen-

Since I posted my original query back in January, I bought both the Kodak Retinar wide angle & the telephoto lenses from B & H Photo in NYC. I've been experimenting with them, & find they are easy to use, quick to change & small enough to be carried in a separate pocket. The .6 wide angle at its widest setting (approx 20mm) gives a fish bowl effect on certain shots, which I find hard to see on the LCD screen, so I've been trying to approximate where a 24mm setting might be to avoid that look. Unfortunately, the zoom action down there appears to be notched rather than continuous, so it stops where Kodak wants rather than where I want.

The 2x Tele lens does it's job decently. I've taken to setting the shutter at a faster speed to minimize potential for camera shake when I'm hand holding it at its longest reach & that works.

Both lenses provide pretty sharp pictures.

If you go into setup & disable the digital zoom, that helps to save some time, as the camera will otherwise speed past the end of the optical zoom into the useless digital portion.

The optical viewfinder is partially blocked when either lens is used, but the zoom indeed does work.

Indoors with the wide angle on, in adequate room light & a generally frozen scene, I've used the Night setting in lieu of going into PAS & separately setting the shutter slower. Photos have looked clean.
Treadman is offline   Reply With Quote