Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:25 PM   #1

Default dx6490 made strange noise

My new Dx6490 made a strange noise while it was on the dock and i tryed to turn it on. It turned itself off and all of the lightes turned off. I had to put the dial on off mode and then back on camera mode for it to start back up. Everything seems to work fine but just in case, before my return policy runs out, im asking this question.
iyzmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:08 AM   #2

Default Re: dx6490 made strange noise

Is your lense cap on????...if you put the tether for the lense cap on the wrong side the lense cannot extend because the cord is to tight....otherwise you can turn it on in the dock and should have no problems,,,,make certain your cap cord is on the side attachment away from the shutter release !!!
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:14 AM   #3

Default Re: dx6490 made strange noise

I know someone that striped a gear in the lense by not making sure the lense could extend without binding,,,,the lense cap tether if inproperly installed will cause this binding with possible damage if you do install improperly
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:03 AM   #4

Instead of turning my on in the dock, I just press the download button (or whatever the wide button on the dock is calleD), and it turns the camera "on" for me without extending the lens.

But in the past, I have turned it on with the lens cap on and yes, if it cannot fully extend, it will make some strange noise, send the lens back to its sleep position.
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:42 PM   #5

The camera seems to be working fine. Do you think this did any unnoticable damage?
iyzmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:17 PM   #6

If it did hurt the cam you`d know immediately,,,the lense would no longer extend,,,,the cam is designed to close the lense when it hits something or cannot fully extend,,,but repeated accididents wiil likely strip the gears clean....just be carefull and with a little care you`ll unlikely have any problems,,,,