Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:32 PM   #11

Good question about comparing it to the A80. I presently have an A80 "on trial" and am very impressed. But, the 7440 has some features the A80 lacks, like a 4x zoom (33 - 132) compared to the A80's 38 - 114; as well as the exposure braketing, 2.2" LCD, and a few others. The A80 has a great track record, website devotees, rotating LCD (surprisingly nice feature), two Custom modes, and some other little touches, like a 2 second timer choice which allows the shutter press motion not to disrupt the picture. I'm anxious to see reviews of the 7440 and pics like Steve takes to compare to the A80. Also, I'd like to get my hot little hands on a returnable 7440 (not an easy thing to do) so I can run some tests around the house with both cameras. I've gone through 2 months of extensive research and, for my needs and situation at least, the A80 and 7440 end up being the top two choices - beating out the W1 (which I tried yesterday and found disappointing), Nikon 4200, 5200, etc., Pentax S40, 4i, Olympus C-60, and others. Part of my deal is keeping it under $400. I'll let you know how I end up....

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:31 PM   #12

The reason i'm asking is because i'd like to buy one this july. I like the dx6440 because it has a longer flash range, a hybrid AF sensor, the cool lensand some manual controls. The cx7340, on the other hand is new, has better video, more scenes, cheaper (50$) and is on Steve's best cameras list. I would choose the dx6440 if the cx7430 wasn't in steve's list.

I'm hoping the 7440 will be widely available by July so I can try it out but between the 7430 and the 6440, which has the best features overall?

grimdirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:52 AM   #13

By the way, these are the precies for the cameras in my city in Spain:

CX7340: 235 €
DX6440: 243 €

DX7440: 320 €

Obviously the 7440 is the best but... is the 320 € worth of it?

eZeQuieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:58 AM   #14

the li-ion battery of the dx7440 bothers me...
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:47 AM   #15

I'm curious...why is that Li-ion battery a concern? Thanks....

Dave
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:59 AM   #16

It's more expensive than rechargeable AA's. I want to carry spare batteriesduring long trips and it wouldn't behard replacing them if they die out on me. You can also buy alkaline AA's when emergies occur.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:02 AM   #17

eZeQuieL wrote:
Quote:
Is the dx6490 so good? Why is everybody in the forums talking about it?

If it was soooo good I maybe could spend a little more (little?) and go for it.

Thanks for your answer anyway,

eZeQuieL
To paraphase a poet:

How do I love my 6490...let me count the ways:

GREAT LENS!!!
10x Optical Zoom
Sync for external Flash
variety of automatic and manual modes (but no manual focus)
large LCD
Ease of use (RTFM to get the most out of this camera)
form factor: it feels like a camera (to us old SLR fuddy-duddies)
LONG battery life
4.0MP
Adjustable diopter on the EVF (for those who wear glasses)

I bought mine online at Circut City and picked it up 15 mins later. Better camera and warranty prices online than in-store.
ParrotSquawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 5:02 AM   #18

Well, I did it. I bought the CX7430. BUT I bought before the DX6440. It was OK, and probably the picture quality is better, but the size and design of the camera is not comparable.

Do not let the size specifications fool you, the CX7430 is a LOT smaller, and nicer too.

I don't think the 6440 has a lot of manual options, and don't find them very useful (for me!)

Bottom line, get the CX7430, it's great.

Thanks to all the people who help me to decide,

eZeQuieL
eZeQuieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:46 PM   #19

I bought a CX7430 today and just thought that i would post my initial impressions.

I have previously owned a Nikon 2100, a Fuji 302S and most recently a Fuji S5000, so I am familiar with digital and know what i want from it.

i recently went on holiday and by the end of it, concluded that draging my S5000 and additional telephoto lens around with me all the timewas a bind (i also had heavy binoculars).

I decided that a compromise would be to go for a lighter camera (to fit in a pocket) that would take action shots (wildlife) and close up shots (for artwork). I initially looed at the3 meg Olympus C-310 but it did not have a 'sports' setting for faster shots (or other ways of manually changing settings). I then looked at the new Nikon 3200, that had some excellent pre sets but I felt that there was too much noise on indoor shots.

I finally settled on the CX7430,it cost £199 (UK) and i am really pleased with the purchase. the presets are really easy to use and i have tested for motion and indoor shots and got good results on both (though I have not seen anything printed yet). A 128 meg card gives me 98 shots at the BEST quality setting. I think for the 7 x 5 prints that i go for, i will be able to use optical and some digital zoom,and still retain image quality because of the 4 meg pixel capacity.

I thought the colour reproduction was accurate and the responses were fast. I used macro indoors (no flash) and got a good result first time off (no camera shake).

I get the impression thatI have a camera that is lightweight and very portable, yet able to cope with a wide range of picture settings, withconsistently good results (bearing in mind that idon't need more than a 7 x 5 print). The presets and auto mode are good, but the camera also allows the usermore control over various features (ie ISO).A good all rounder but with a higher than average performance would be my initial assessment.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 2:43 PM   #20

Updating the above. i was disappointed with my first set of prints. i am going to do a bit of experimenting to ty and improve them, i remember reading somewhere that the JPEG file compression was a bit aggresive, I will look into that.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote