Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:17 AM   #11

Does anybody know anything about the 6490 lens adapter prize???
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:44 PM   #12

ozono,,,,someone posted the prices on the kodak forum for the adapter at being 19.95.....the site he said it was on was rite to U web site,,,,,I can`t seem to find that site but the price seem`s about right,,,,,Brian Hare
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:48 PM   #13

If you go to the Kodak site and get the P/N for the ring then do a google search on that number you get prices between $13-$20.

Price on the wide angle adapter is about $195.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:10 PM   #14

So far I have found the wide angle lens at $114.
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:16 PM   #15

Hi Brian, On another forum, someone had stated that the Schneider ring on the 6490 that the lens comes out of is glued on and there were no threads inside. I guess he actually took the ring off to see if there was any threads. I am wondering if it is going to be a press on adapter. I know Kodak states it is screwed on but where??
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:14 AM   #16

RTIF1----There are threads past that clued in ring,,,,I know it`s hard to see but they are there just past the ring that say`s schneider on it,,,get a small flash-light and see for yourself,,,,they posted this on the kodak site that a guy actually removed that to see the threads,,,the threads are external on the adapter so they are internal on the camera,,,,I can see them on my dx6490,,,,kind of interesting isn`t it,,,,,I personally wouldn`t try the removal of the ring part myself,,,,kind of pointless,,,if you look closely at the adapter on the kodak website you`ll see the threads on the adapter barrel,,,, Brian Hare
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:03 PM   #17

Thanks Brian, I think that is rather humorous that someone would go to that extent to see if there are threads inside! But it sure makes sense what you are saying. Then the adapter has to be as long as the lens is when the lens is fully extended. That way if need be you could leave the adapter on the camera.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:46 PM   #18

Roll on the adapter ring, I can get a digiscope added.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:49 PM   #19

Exactly,,,,you could leave it on and put a sky filter on it, when not using the wide angle lense,,and the expensive schneider lense would be protected,,,,,one problem with that though,,,,,now you have a cam with all that forward length in the way,,,all the time,,,,the adapter would have to be a little longer than the cams lense to avoid interfering,,,so in reality,,, with the adapter on and a filter this is going to be a large pain in the @#$....it will no longer be a cam that is already fairly large,,,it will be a cam that gets in your way anytime you move,,,,,,,so the only real thing you can do is carry a larger bag,,,which I don`t want to do,,,and keep the extra lense and adapter in the bag,,,,,or leave it at home,,,and not have it when you might see that special shot,,,,kind of stinks doesn`t it,,,,that`s why I got rid of the huge collection I had before,,,,,

Don`t get me wrong,,,the wide angle schneider lense is a piece of optical beauty,,,I`m just trying to convince myself to avoid the 200 dollars plus it will cost,,,,or at least examine closely my need or lack of this item,,,it`s kind of a pricey dust collector for my shelf,,,,I think 38mm is probably enough,,,but your need may be diferent,,,you have to decide,,,not me..... Brian Hare
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:24 AM   #20

It won't be that bad Brian. I have found the lens from $114 to $120 and the adapter from $14 to $20. That is a lot of lens for 114 bucks!. I think with the WA lens you will have 26.6mm - 266mm.