Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Kodak DX6490 now has Add-On Lense and Filters

The Kodak DX6490 now has Add-On Lense and Filters;

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

...hopefully a Telephoto add-on will be available soon for those who want one.

-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:55 AM   #2

Yesssssssss,,,,finally they get arround to it,,,I saw the posting on the Kodak forum yesterday,,,nice lense,,,made by the same manufacture as the lense on the DX6490,four elements,,,beautifulllll,,,Makes sense that they would know how to make the adapters too,,,and of the same quality,,,I think i`ll get the wide angle adapter but does anyone think they`ll even make a tele adapter ?????,,,,I mean the cam already goes to 680mm,,,,,most people would probably never need to see jupiter up close would they??? would be interesting to see a pic at full zoom with a 2 times tele adapter though wouldn`t it,,,,my SLR outfit I just sold had a 1000mm Carl Zeiss Jena lense and you could get some interesting photos when looking across to a beach on a nice clear hot day! ! ! Brian Hare
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:26 PM   #3

great! yet i think the wide-angle converter is not wide enough, the conversion factor is only 0.7X

i found some alternatives, see if they are good choices for 6490 users

http://www.digitaletailer.com/shop/S....aspx?kwd=55mm
alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:46 PM   #4

ALVINCYT,,,,,,,,I think I would stay away from the aftermarket lenses/adapters,,,,,just my opinion,,,,but they are usually of questionable quality,,,optics are usually inferior also,,,,if I was to buy adapters/lenses I would stick to the original equipment or not at all,,,,but it seems that the 0.7x wide angle roughly translates to 28mm,,,, or near that,,,seems enough for me....but I think maybe I`ll just wait on a lense,,,,this way I don`t have to lug arround something I think everybody was waiting for but will rairly ever use.....Brian
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:42 PM   #5

I could be wrong but I believe it translates to just under 27mm. If 27mm is not wide enough why not 'pano' :-) . It's cheap and you can do a 360 if you need to go 'wide-angle'. :lol:

I agree with brianhare, stay away from 3rd party adaptors in this area as you never know what the barrel distortion, etc. will look like.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:13 PM   #6

because i like to shoot fireworks, so getting a wide scene " at the same time" is a must, panorama with "photo merging" cannot achieve this
alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:58 PM   #7

This is certainly a valid point,,,,if you want wide angle and action or as you say fireworks in the pic you`ll definately need a wide angle lense,,,,the 0.7x should be wide enough at the 27 or 28mm I would think,,,or just move back get it all in and crop and enlarge what you really want to see,,,,the biggest bonus of digital photography is taking a million photos,,,cropping them,,,unlargeing them,through a photo suite program,,,and not having to keep any you dislike,,,it`s free to play with,,,,all it costs is your time
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:02 PM   #8

Default adapter

In looking at the picture of the adapter, How is this going to go onto the lens?? Which end will go on the lens? They can't work with the plastic threads inside the end of the lens. The big talk in tele converters is the Olympus TCON-17. All I have heard is this is fantastic! Pricier than others but if it does the trick. It is also 55mm!
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:04 PM   #9

You say you saw a lens on the Kodak site. The only lenses I see are 37mm for a different Kodak model. I don't see any 55mm lenses. The only thing they show for the 6490 is the adapter.
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:12 AM   #10

The adapter screws into the camera,,,not into the lense,,,it actually goes past the lense into the body,,,if you look closely where the lense comes out you will see the threads,,,this makes it so the lense will retract normally and the adapter actually stays fixed,,,this also makes it so the entire length is not so long,,,you are right,,,,the actual lense at the end where the filters would screw on on a slr is not threaded,,,,it`s a little diferent idea,,works though nonetheless,,,i`ve seen prices posted and i`m not really pleased though,,,,seems like over 200 with taxes,shipping,insurance in for the adapter and the wide angle lense,,,,prices reflect the high quality too though,,,,,,,,I,,,,after some thought on it am kind of disapointed they didn`t go for more,,,,you get roughly 27mm over your current 38mm,,,,

I`ve been checking other cam makers and seem to see 18mm wide angle a lot....As noted in someone elses response here that 27mm is not a real big difference,,,,,I`m questioning whether the long over wait was in vain on this item.....the adapter on the other hand will accept 55mm filters,etc.....that may be very usefull.....

I quess after carrying arround 2 SLR cams,11 lenses,14 or so filters,etc,,,for years,,,,I`m wondering whether I want to carry a large bag again,,,,this cam is excellent,takes spot on pics almost continuously,makes a novice look like a pro,beautifull color saturation,focuses great,,,,,,,,,do I really need to add to that ? ? ? or is this really all you need....this is I quess up to the individual and he must decide,,,,,,at 18mm,,,,,I would be more willing to decide "yes",,,,,at 27mm ,,,I think i`ll wait to see if the price goes down,,,

Now,,,,,,are they going to make a tele adapter,,,doesn`t look promising does it ! ! ,,, quess we`ll see won`t we ????????......

Brian Hare