Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:18 AM   #1

Default Newbie with a couple questions.... Kodak 6490

Hi guys great site... I am finally the proud owner of the 6490 after about 3 months of trying to talk myself outta spending that much for a camera... It got the best of me... :lol:

First question is...

About the docking station...

Can you leave it on the docking station full time even when it shows full charge??? Or will it ruin the batterys??? How long should you leave it on????

#2 Will the 512MB sd card work with the Kodak 6490?????

I thought I read here once it didn't but I might be mistaken...

Thanxxx for any and all responses... Sure I will have more questions later...
zx12richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:42 AM   #2

You can leave it on the dock, the battery is not supposed to be harmed. I have had mine on since I got it (6 months) no problems. I have only removed it to shoot or switch batteries.

512M Cards are supposed to work fine but a 256 M card will hold 300-400 pictures in the best mode so I use two 256M cards. I don't know if I have many times that I would want to put 800 pictures without downloading.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:09 AM   #3

It will hold that many on the very best mode????? Most I have ever took on my old camera was bike week 2 years ago took about 260 something pics...

Thanks for the reply..
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4

The software isn't to friendly... It wants me to use the Lodak stuff and there folders... I like storing in my own made files.... I can't figure out how to transfer them...... Going to buy a usb card reader if they make one then I can just make a folder and tranfer them there...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:23 AM   #5

You can almost buy three 256 mb cards for the price of one 512mb I think. It seems like they cost a lot more than two 256mb cards anyways. I will be getting this camera sometime this week. I have been looking at cameras for a long time now, and I think I've finally decided this is the one I want.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6

Only thing negative I can say about it is the Kodak software sucks....

I download thru a Sandisk cardreader with no troubles..... Like it its very fast...
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:26 AM   #7

On my Mac, I use iPhoto to grab the pictures just fine. On the PC, I have the software installed, but all I do is put the camera on the dock (actually, it is there, charging, when not in use), hit the sync button on the dock, then exit the Kodak software, and I find my camera is mapped as a drive, and I can just drag and drop the pictures to wherever I want them.
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:52 AM   #8

I have a 512mb SD card for mine and it will hold 410 pics on the 3 star setting....at least that's what it tells me. It says I have taken 91 and says that there are 319 left. I got my card at Best Buy when they had it for $140 after rebates. It also holds about a 30 minute video and it's not TOO bad....not perfect quality, but it's fun to shoot it now and then.

Hope this helps!

Paula
learningsomethingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:49 PM   #9

The 6490 does a really bad job of estimating the number of pictures. Actually my Pentax is not too good at estimating either. When you get up to this many pixels the compression can vary a lot. While shooting sometimes you look at the counter and it increases after a shot.

I just did a photo shoot yesterday. I got 500 shots on the 256M card and it still said I had about 4 pictures left. At that point I switched the card and fired off 398 more pictures on the second 256M card. I still had about 36 pictures remaining according to it's counter. When I put the card in it says I have about 183 pictures on the card.

YMMV based on the complexity of the pictures but you can get a better estimate by taking the first set of pictures you got and downloading them get an average size and then divide it by the card size. I find most of my pictures (people shots) tend to run 400-600K. Scenic and macro shots with lots of complexity tend to run 500K-1M. And yes I do shoot everything at 3 stars.

Note the camera does take a long time to write to the card when you get down to the last few pictures.

BTW for those interested I was able to shoot those 900 shots on one battery charge. I was not using the on camera flash. I was shooting studio flash.

For those of you wondering what is worth 900 pictures well l had a opportunity to do an extended shoot with a Penthouse Centerfold (Martina Warren Jan. 2003).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote