Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 9, 2004, 6:50 AM   #11

Look the sky, the jpg compression is too much

jiuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:18 AM   #12

You may see something I don`t,,,,it looks fine to me...

If you are planning to by a cam and do not like the compression ratio,features etc,,,then maybe you should get something else...

Kodak is not going to release a firmware update,,,they only release updates to fix a problem,,,this is not a problem,,,it`s the way they designed it so you can get more pics per card.....

If i blow up my DX6490 pics past 100% I get problems too...all DC cams will show weaknesses past the 100% mark...

A DSLR is what you want,,,at least 12+ meg so you`ll be satisfied,,don`t you think a cam at this price with a Schneider lense and 4 mp is about all that you should expect at that price...

Go look at a Minolta of Fuji and see if you like them better,,,lots of luck looking,,,hope you find something you will like...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:25 PM   #13

brian, it's just an easy revision of the software whose quality level variable (of the jpg algorithm) has been gone up. (6->8)

It would be optional firmware update for perfectionist users :P
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:03 PM   #14

JIUMAN..... I thought about this for awhile,,,,and I guess it`s up to the individual too..

I probably would like to see a compression update,,,,,one you could set to different levels..

I also see Kodaks point that people would complain about not getting enough pics per card,,,if they set the high compression as "default",,that would solve their problem..

Can you imagine the number of complaints they`d receive if someone only got 3 or 4 pics on the internal memory...

I have been taking a "you know what you bought,,if you didn`t like it take it back" approach on this topic up till now...

I guess i`m getting tired of hearing about it,,,and i am starting to get kind of mad that if it bothers this many people then Kodak should at least get rid of the compression issue for people that find this a large problem..

As for further "wanted" updates/fixes ,,,,, there is nothing i really care about,,,that is of course my opinion,,,,,The only thing i wished they had done was make a remote control,,,i would use that a lot,,,

But that would not be possible without a redesign of the cam...

If anyone is going to try a petition to Kodak they would probably get them to update the firmware for the compression issue...

The reason I say they "might" do that is due to the fact,,,, that in all the forums i go to,,,people complain about this the most....and it would be in their best interest to keep the majority a little happy because if they do not,,,,there are a lot of DC camera companies that will take that advantage in the future by listening and acting quickly to customer needs/wants.....

I`m actually dissapointed in Kodak for not squashing this already by updating at least the compression issue....

On the other hand Fuji is no better,,,i`ve been looking at there forums and there are a lot of owners that are just as angry about this there...And fuji won`t seem to listen either...

People have said that Kodak listens and puts the ideas in their new cams,,,that they are in the business of selling not updating the cams already sold as there is no money in updates,,,,,,

But if they keep their customers happy they`ll return everytime they release something newer and better if the last product kept them happy

I`ve been in the auto industry for 20+ years,,,if I do not keep the customer happy he`ll drive right on by next time..

If I at least show that I`m trying he`ll come back forever,,,,,

Brian
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:59 PM   #15

I completely agree with you Brian.
When I got my camera, it was my first digital and I wondered how many pictures I could squeeze onto my memory card.

Now I have learnt more about it and seen JPEG artefacts in my pictures, now I would rather have less compression.

I have two 256mb cards and I know the counter estimates on the best quality 191 shots on an empty card, but the one time I actually got up that high, it still estimated 45 shots left.

For going on holiday, sure it's nice to squeeze a few more pictures on a card, but for me on a day trip I never get near in filling the first card up.

If you could get around 100 pictures on a 256mb card and not have the artefacts that would be where my camera would be set all of the time. (It's still the equivalent to 3 films worth of pictures that you have previewed on screen so you know they are good)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:30 PM   #16

Cold Snail...

I guess taking into account that since memory isn`t that expensive,,,Kodak could make the compression adjustable...

I`m just wondering what it would do to the pics in THIS camera,,,would it be greatly improved,,,or only somewhat...

There`s no way to know unless Kodak lets you find out,,,,,

I still do not really care myself if this happens,,would be nice to see what it does,,,,,but i purchased it knowing this...

If a change could make a great DC like this better though I`m all for it...

I doubt i`d need another card though,,,even if you got half the pics as you do now i`d probably be alright..

And like i say the SD cards are not that much,,,i`d buy more if needed..Maybe through kodak ....

I hope you guy`s get an update,,,,can`t see it happening,,,,but it would be to Kodaks advantage to address this to keep people coming back to them....

Some people will look arround at next purchase,,,,being better aware of their wants and needs,,,for the camera that better suits them,,,,or at least lets them grow.......

Kodak made a great cam here,,,hope they continue on that road,,,also hope they don`t drop the ball when considering customer relations that could help them along the way..

THANKS AGAIN..... Brian
Old Apr 14, 2004, 4:18 AM   #17

Default Fireware update

[quote]
I hope you guy`s get an update,,,,can`t see it happening

Your right !..why would Kodak release an update when they can put some of the features that ppl want into another newer camera and ppl will go out and buy it and Kodak make lots more money THEN they MIGHT release an update for the 6490 after the new camera has been out on the market for awhile ..just my thoughts !
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 4:33 PM   #18

i am completely agree with brianhare too. And DX6490 is a very good cam but the jpg artifacts. Image quality is a critical point although the 16MB inner memory would limit to a few shots.

I haven't bought the DX6490 yet. I don't need it now, perhaps i will buy one in the next mounths But i am not sure if i will take this digicam. i have been reading about de Canon powershot S1 which has very similar features than the DX6490 (but it has 3.2MP and it costs 100 more).

i work in mobile industry (just some months) and it's very important to know customer complaints. I hope they made the update, i would buy the cam inmediately
Old Apr 15, 2004, 6:15 AM   #19

Default DX7590

Id wait for the DX7590 to come out ..... 5 MP 10x zoom 2.2' screen 32 meg internal memery

Pyro

Edit ... plus they would have fixed or made some changers from the 6490
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:12 PM   #20

when will it be released???