Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:58 AM   #21

Pyro, Where did you get your information? I can't find anything on the 7590.
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:54 PM   #22

So,,,Kodak releases the DX7590,,what makes you think they`ll do anything different then the new DX7630...

Steve has just reviewed the 7630 which has a "fine" compression adjustment...

He says the jpg artifacts are still there although he says they are exceptable...

He states the file size is still way to small for a 6 meg DC..

I`m thinking the new 7590 will be the same,,,,,so if the artifacts bother anybody here,,,,,then I guess you/we are out of luck,,,and all the posts/e-mails were in vain,,,,they simply do not care...

If they did they would have eliminated this problem in the new 7630 wouldn`t you think......

I see the next 10X DC camera manufacturer that listens to this problem getting a lot of NEW customers looking their way...

If the high compression bothers people this much,,,,why would they spend another 500 or better dollars on a DC that is going to drive them nuts again,,,ecspecially when the first was not updated to keep the owner happy the first time...

I really like my DX6490,,,but ,,,,,,if i can`t get the detail it should be able to do on certain photos ,,,like sky photos from what i hear,,,i`ve also got a shot where the trees limbs in the background look like mud,,,,,,then why would I spend another 500 to buy the same problem again,,,,,,makes NO sense to me...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 6:08 PM   #23

Val,,,from dpreview,,,who works at Kodak left a reply to a thread we were leaving there,,,that Kodak is considering a firmware update for the DX6490....

There is no date,,,or even a guarrantee on this happening,,,,but it looks like these threads are helping this along,,,

So,,,keep the threads on a compression update alive at the least,,,for all you people that wanted this,,,,I think the ball actually may be rolling..

Thank you Kodak,,, if your listening,,,for hearing all that asked for this,,,and,,,,,,, please,,,,,,,, do this for the people i`ve talked to...they will definately appreciate your listening to their wants/needs

I sincerely hope that Kodak releases a firmware update for all of you that want it....time will tell,,,we`ll see what happens i guess...

Brian
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:22 PM   #24

Thanks for the info... And... may the force be with us!!!

And to keep this thread alive... i continue demanding things for that firmware update...

It would be nice have the option to chose between more resolutions... I mean, smaller resolutions...such as 640x480, this could make possible an infinite continuous shooting feature...

Heh... and... what about being able to change the shutter sound...
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:25 PM   #25

YES ....The shutter could sound like a machine gun,,,,that would get some smiles out of some people when in burst mode..

Brian
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:58 AM   #26

I really like the idea of less compression. Hopefully kodak might do something about it (like they didn't do with the 3600).

I also like the idea of infinite continuous shooting mode, as well as better battery life indicator.
McGern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 6:32 AM   #27

Someone tells me today that Kodak has put on their site they will not put out a firmware for the compression problem..

So I guess we are all out of luck there...

I`ll be shopping for something that will fix the artifact problem I guess,,,I hear panasonic has a 12X out with a lot more features,,,,and AW..

Brian
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:25 AM   #28

If the artifact problem is indeed a "problem" shouldn't that make it justifiable for firmware upgrade?

Or is this an industry accepted problem?

BTW would someone be able to show me some examples of jpeg artifacts in dx6490 images please, if that is at all possible?

Thanks,
McGern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:23 PM   #29

Heheh, i was thinking in a sound that says "say cheeeeeese" or something....
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:02 PM   #30

ozono,,,,,good idea,,,,cheese would make them smile,,,some of them anyway,,some people are hard to get them to look happy...

I was on dpreview,,,,AND Val say`s the "no updates will be released" post on the Kodak site is their answer until they change it,,,,she is saying that is the standard answer on the site,,,,this does not mean they will not do it,,,they are talking about it,,,,this of course does not mean they will release a firware update,,,but it does mean that they are at least considering it.....

Brian