Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:31 AM   #31

Where does kodak say that they will not release any firmware update??? I've been browsing but i haven't found it.
jiuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:02 PM   #32

From what i can find out the answer is what you get when you ask online at Kodak,,,this is the message they`ll send you,,,,

But Val on dpreview say`s that answer will not change till they have definate confirmation of a change to this..

This of course does not mean Kodak will be doing a firmware update,,,Val say`s it is in discussion....

I`m just wondering with all the noise reduction and color corrections this DC does,,,,if the compression issue is relaxed,,,,will it change the pics for the worst....

Damian,,,a former Kodak employee say`s the DX6490 has a new processor fron TI,,that is the fastest out there,,,that most of what you see when you see the "oil painting effect"is in the color algorithms/reproductionand noise adjustments made buy the programing...

I`m not really convinced that a "decompression" option in a firmware update would do as much as some think,,,,a lot of detail loss is attributed to color correction and noise correction..

He states that this is the best they can do at this time due to the small sensor among other things,,,his view is very interesting,,,i`ll see if i can post a link to that discussion,,,it was about the oil-painting look some images show at times..

Brian

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7139656

Would really be interesting to see if they do put out an update,,,,if they do you can be sure they`ve tested it throughly though,,,they do not want to complicate this DC when it`s as good as this already,,,and make the images suffer....If they do not update this DC,,,then it`s probably the best they can do at this time with that sensor/processor arrangement,,,,,I fully expect in the next few years that DC`s in general will make great steps forward as people like us demand/require more from their typical P&S digital camera,,,I also expect Kodak will still be up at bat with one of the best DC`s out there...

The DX6490 really is a leap forward,,,,,,it takes easy to the max..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:02 AM   #33

Default 7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtif1
Pyro, Where did you get your information? I can't find anything on the 7590.
From a website

http://www.cnews.ru/newtop/index.sht...4/04/09/157533

its in German talks about it briefly at the bottom of the kodak section

PR

sorry been away for a weeks holiday
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:28 PM   #34

Default Z2 or DX6490

Dear Brian, dear Paul,

I know you enjoy DX6490 very much. I also like it, but after the release of Minolta Z2, I'm hesitating......

Can you give me any advice? Thanks a lot.

Please go to http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=25315 for details.

Fredy
Fredy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:49 PM   #35

Hi Freddy;;;;

Advise,,,,,well i can tell you what i know,,,then you still have to decide for yourself.....

The DX has a bigger LCD, 2.2 inch versuses the Z2`s 1.8,,,,and that does make quite a difference in viewing,,believe me....

The Z2 has a better quality movie mode,,,takes more room on your card,,,but definately better looking on your TV,,,,,

Both of these cams,,, "blank out",,,will not let you follow the action in burst mode,,,,6 pics in a row,,,,but you can get used to that quickly by leaving both eyes open so you can follow the action shots...

The Z2 has a hot-shoe for external flash,,,which you WILL need for either DC as the flash is insufficient for large room/outdoors shots,,,,the DX has a pc cord plug for this,,,i had to buy a grip to mount the flash to,,,cheap,,,,so it`s a little bit more to carry to use the flash,,,,,but on the plus side the grip gives you something to hold onto,,making the cam a steadier one...

The large plus to the DX6490,,,,,it has low light focusing,,,some DC`s will not focus in a dimly light room,,,the DX will in almost total darkness,,,,

The DX series of DC cameras are EASY TO USE,,,the menu system is excellent,,,most people find that you can use the cam with no problems in a few minutes,,,and master the menu in a very short time,,,almost all DC`s besides the DX have very complicated menu systems that require you to read the manual again,,and again,,,,

People complained that the DX`s battery was a propietory battery,,,and they wanted to use AA batteries still,,,but the Lithium Ion rechargeable is cheap,,,,lasts well above 300 shots with a lot of flash and LCD use,,,so this battery is excellent,,,

The DX has from 80-800 ISO SPEEDS

The Z2 has from 50-400 ISO speeds..

The DX`s LCD and EVF go monochrome in low light,and gets brighter,,makes the subject a lot more visable/easier to see..

The Schneider lense on the DX is one beauty of a lense,,,absolute beautifull quality,,,,this is the main reason i bought this DC..

I think either DC is a good choice,,,but i`d go out and get them both in your hands to compare feel too,,

I found the Z2 to feel" plasticy",,it had no real quality feel to it,,,the flipping mirror to view the EVF i thought was really stupid,,,makes no sense to me why they`d do that except to save money,,,the DX has two screens,,you just push a button and you`re there,,

I quess my main issue with the Z2 was the quality wasn`t there,,,felt cheaply made,,and the Z1 was know for poor build quality issues too,,,and these DC`S are not cheapies,,,they shouldn`t feel that way,,,to me at least..

The best way for you to see what you`d like is to get both of these in your hands to see how,,,, YOU,,, like them,,,you`ll know instantly which you like,,,and don`t like,,

Both take excellent pics,,,people say the compression is too high on the DX,,they say this about the Z2 also,,,,but unless you are a computer/photo expert,,,,i bet if you printed them off at say 11X14,,,you`d not see anything you didn`t like,,,i have printed a lot off,,,the quality is definately there,,,beautifull photos,,,and the cam is so easy to use,,,nice not to have to be a DC guru to figure it out...

Let me know what you decide,,,interested to see when you get both in your hands,,,what decision YOU come to....

Brian
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:35 PM   #36

Oh,,,,and Consumer Reports Magazine also rated the DX6490 as #1 in the 10X zoom range..

Shows at the very least that it works well and is well liked..

Brian
Old Apr 30, 2004, 6:58 PM   #37

For all the same reasons Brian pointed out I just ordered a DX6490.
I never even considered the Z1/2 because of the construction. I have read though that the Z1/2 are fast cameras if that is important.
Also Ill add that not only is the DX LCD larger and more resolute (2.2"153kPix vs 1.5" 113kPix) but so is the evf which has 180kPix (vs the Z2s reflected 113kPix)
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 7:25 PM   #38

McGern wrote:
Quote:
I also like the idea of infinite continuous shooting mode, as well as better battery life indicator.
I whole-heartedly agree on the battery indicator - I have a spare but would like to know how long before I have to use it.

This may be something I can do now, but so far I haven't figured it out. When I transfer the pics to my computer, the Easy Share software brings them in and numbers them in backwards order. I've tried checking and unchecking the "Reverse Order" box with no luck. Any ideas? I tend to rename all my pics anyway, but it would be nice to start with the first pic instead of the last.

I haven't had any complaints about the quality of my pics, just silly little things like this :-)

Jenn
Malleybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:18 AM   #39

If the speed of Kodak delivering the 6490's lense adapter is any indication of the time that will be needed for them to put out a firmware update for the 6490, we will being waiting until netx year if we are lucky.

Don't get me wrong I like what the 6490 does, especially for the price, but I have been waiting 3 1/2 months for the lens adapter that was supposed to released then. Each month it gets pushed back another month with absolutely no valid explanation given even though a non Kodak source has been able to develope and manufacture one for it.

I really don't expect that they will release a firmware update any sooner,but rather much later.

Ken Miller

kenm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:08 AM   #40

Just sent them an E-mail
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote