Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 14, 2004, 3:07 AM   #41

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
Val,,,from dpreview,,,who works at Kodak left a reply to a thread we were leaving there,,,that Kodak is considering a firmware update for the DX6490....
An on screen indicator of the current zoom setting would be very useful
alexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 10:37 AM   #42

so what's the status on this anyways? Does it look like they will be releasing a firmware update? I just purchased this last week and there are already a few annoying quirks and I believe I've already seen the result of overcompression.
rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 11:14 AM   #43

I've already posted about this in the 'Kodak DX6490 or Minolta Z2' thread, but it seems to belong here.

It's been suggested that Kodak only releases firmware updates when they are needed to fix something that's broken. Most of the issues that have been raised here are likely to considered matters of preference, rather than malfunctions.

However, I think I've discovered something that can be considered legitimately faulty and erroneous in the performance of the 6490. It's a very small thing, but I hope it might provide the leverage Kodak needs to address this camera's problems.

In brief, one of the 6490's power-saving features is that it turns off the EVF or LCD if there's "no activity" for 60 seconds. Unfortunately, it will do this while you're holding the shutter button halfway down. This effectively limits the duration of half-press focus/exposure lock to 60 seconds.

It seems obvious to me that holding the shutter halfway down should not be considered "no activity." By timing out while the user is attempting to maintain focus/exposure lock this way, the camera is failing to perform as specified. And this is the sort of problem Kodak might be expected to address with a firmware upgrade.

The more interesting question, though, is whether Kodak might consider improving the camera's functionality while addressing this problem. My guess is that it's not likely, but there's still no harm in asking, especially if the desired features would be easy to implement.

My own choices would be these:

1. Persistent focus lock.

2. Persistent exposure lock. (These two need to be separate. By persistent, I mean that it remains locked until you switch modes, zoom, or turn the camera off.)

3. High quality/lower compression jpeg format.

4. User-selectable contrast setting.

5. Option to change or defeat power-saving features.

For me, those would be enough to change the 6490 from a really good camera that almost made the grade to a classic. Manual focus would be nice, but I bet it would be more difficult to implement. Some additional preset focus distances might be do-able, though. And RAW mode is probably out of reach.

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 2:49 PM   #44

Another possible fault in the 6490's existing firmware. It's even smaller than the previous one, but still something that may be verifiably wrong, not just a matter of someone's opinion.

When shooting in aperture priority mode, everything seems to be okay, as long as I'm using an f-stop close to either end of the available range. But if I set aperture to f/5, f/5.6, or f/6.3, there's a glitch. When I half-press the shutter button, the camera does not just set the shutter speed. It also opens up the aperture by 1/3 stop. So if I set it to f/5, it's now f/4.5, etc.

Not the way aperture priority is supposed to work!

Can anyone else confirm this?

So far, this seems to be consistent for me, shooting at ISO 400.

Old May 24, 2004, 5:55 PM   #45

Mr.Kodak please update it!!!

- no white screen taking photos (like in PASM-night pictures)

- Auto EV

- Bracketing Feature (is on 6440 why not in 6490???)

- Selectable Compression Level

- Manual Focus

- Steady shot

- battery status indicator

...can we make an email petition directly to kodak?

simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:14 PM   #46

Yes, we should make a "bug list" or something similar... but if kodak receive the same list from loads of email accounts they will suspect a bit...
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 7:24 PM   #47

Just to set the record straight, I'd like to add that I was not able to recreate this problem when I tried on subsequent days. Anyone attempting to compile a list of 6490 problems should NOT include this one!

Robb wrote:
Quote:
Another possible fault in the 6490's existing firmware. It's even smaller than the previous one, but still something that may be verifiably wrong, not just a matter of someone's opinion.

When shooting in aperture priority mode, everything seems to be okay, as long as I'm using an f-stop close to either end of the available range. But if I set aperture to f/5, f/5.6, or f/6.3, there's a glitch. When I half-press the shutter button, the camera does not just set the shutter speed. It also opens up the aperture by 1/3 stop. So if I set it to f/5, it's now f/4.5, etc.

Not the way aperture priority is supposed to work!

Can anyone else confirm this?

So far, this seems to be consistent for me, shooting at ISO 400.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 3:35 AM   #48

1texan wrote:
Quote:
Just sent them an E-mail
That's what I did a few months ago. All I got was a "no plans for implementing lower compression mode" message.

Looks like you got to deal with it or just buy another brand cam.

I don't know what Kodak gains with such policy. OK, the customer can store more pictures, but what's the use buying a higher-MP cam when you need to crop part of the pic and enlarge it and finally you see all the artifacts "flying" around.

Thank God there are nice Canons, Minoltas and other cams out there with lower compression modes.

Kodak people, make up your mind! It's not so hard implementing a lower compression mode into a firmware!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:33 PM   #49

Well, looking at the new DX7590 most of the changes people wanted to make on the 6490 are incorporated there. I guess Kodak just wanted to wait and put all the updates in one package. I hope the 7590 is faster too.....the 6490 is kinda slow.
mrmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:15 AM   #50

Here's a radical suggestion.

Kodak wants to make more money by selling us a new camera, but why don't they dowhat software makers do.

That is, ask usto pay a upgrade fee, if you want it, then fine go ahead, but if you don't feel it's any use, don't bother.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote