Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:56 PM   #61

nexex wrote:
Quote:
for practical purposes, it is impossible. besides taking an eternity to reverse engineer, you would need a large number of the cameras just to be ruined from testing on

Not necessarily. If the tested firmware doesn't work, they could just download the original back into the camera and try again.
Bioviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:54 PM   #62

Just bought a dx6490 (because i could not affoard a zf3 and have a battery that fits from my broken ls443)

I like it in every way except(nag nag nag)firstly; it's focussing in lowlight and secondly but to me less important the high compr.

How many of you dx6490 owners would pay for a upgrade that would deliver manual focus and lower compression?

Maybe we can get software developer to hack and change the firmware?

If we are with many it might be an option that is not too expensive.
nafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:57 AM   #63

Hi,

The reply mails I receive from kodak are auto generated and vague.
IF the compression rate settings make a difference (due to the image processing algorithms used, which are supposed to be the main reason of the artifacts) I would like to see it in a firmware upgrade. I don't care if less pictures can be stored on the SD, since I always carry a laptop with me with USB card reader. Another option I'd like to see in the firmware, and I haven't seen it yet in this forum, is a histogram function. As told in earlier posts, the DX6490 has a powerfull processor, so generating a histogram should not be a problem.
For those who don't understand the use of a histogram; if you see the histogram of a picture, you can instantly see if the picture is technically correct. Exposure and contrast.

Drop the movie part, it's only a gadget, and use the flash space for extra filters.

But I don't think there's going to be an upgrade. Maybe to fix the focussing on dimly lit objects with 10x zoom. (impossible to focus). But I think this is because it is out of reach of the IR sensor.

-R-
rune1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:40 AM   #64

I completely agree with the firmware update issue. The most important issue for me is the compression. Lets start a petition and perhaps make kodak understand that paying for the update (since this is not an essential update) will be considered by some of us.
leon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:41 AM   #65

Btw.

Does anyone know anything about the DX6490 firmware 1.04?
Rumours go it exists.
But I cannot get any sensible comments from Kodak.
>First I ask them if they can send me the newest firmware. I say I have 1.03 on my DC, and ask if they can send me 1.04.
>They answer, we will keep you informed on firmware updates.
>Then I ask whether or not I should conclude from that answer firmware 1.04 does not exist.
> They say that they will keep me informed.
Conclusion: I still don't know anything. :?

So if someone can enlighten me, please do!

-R-
rune1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:53 AM   #66

nafta wrote:
Quote:
How many of you dx6490 owners would pay for a upgrade that would deliver manual focus and lower compression?

I think that I probably would pay for an upgrade for manual focus.

It really annoys me when the the auto focus tries to focus an object, actually is focused for a split second, but then settles on being unfocused. Seems to happen to me a lot.

Also I guess less compression might be nice as I have noticed that that my dx6490is producing pictures with the same file size as my dx3600. Doublethe megapixels, 84% increase in pixel area,but approx the same filesizes?
McGern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:15 AM   #67

I would like to know why someone can't release a hacked firmware like people releasing hacked firmware for optical drives I think everyone knows NEC DVD writers.

This firmware update can't be hard to release... Hmm I m trying to find money to change my dx6490... Probably to Canon... I hope firmware update will come out soon...
obenturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:42 AM   #68

obenturk wrote:
I m trying to find money to change my dx6490... Probably to Canon...
[/quote]

Is that just because the name looks good on the camera?
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:34 PM   #69

lol,,,,good answer Paul,,,unless of course a person likes the purple fringing monster that Canons are known for.....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:15 AM   #70

I hope Kodak is listening to all the owners of the DX6490, and will soon upgrade the firmware to allow some of the issues owners seem to have with this camera to be addressed. I've not even got mine yet and can see some issues with it could be improved with new firmware. Kodak needs to remember that the owner of a DX6490 today may become the owner of a High end Kodak DSLR in the future. But inattention to thier complaints can turn them off to the Kodak Brand. I understand that not all petty problems can be solved, but the ones that seem to be the most bothersome should be looked at and then addressed. If they don't they will loose market share and turn off many prospective new, and many old custumers.

The Dawg
:|

also posted in another part of this forum
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote