Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 26, 2004, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Petition kodak to release a 6490 firmware update...

We all realise there are loads of things that the 6490 could do, but it doesn't just for firmware questions... So, lets make a list of "NEEDED FEATURES", and after closing the thread, we could send THOUSANDS of mails to kodak asking for that update we NEED...

I start the list with:

1.- Adjustable Jpeg compression
2.- Possible RAW Mode
3.- Fast Forward and Rewind when viewing videos
4.- Maybe manual focus???
5.- A feature you configure for taking pictures each X Minutes
6.- Selectable Iso sensibility through the jog dial
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

(7) remote control capabilities

Brian Hare
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:37 PM   #3

Default Re: Petition kodak to release a 6490 firmware update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozono
We all realise there are loads of things that the 6490 could do, but it doesn't just for firmware questions... So, lets make a list of "NEEDED FEATURES", and after closing the thread, we could send THOUSANDS of mails to kodak asking for that update we NEED...

And how much does your petition say we are each willing to pay for these features that probably less than 1% of the 6490 users will actually want or use. I see nice features but nothing NEEDED on your list.

There is nothing "broken" in the 6490 it does it's job and everything that was promised in its documentation and it most importantly it works.

Kodak has shown it will provide upgrades to features but only when it fixes something broken (look at the 14n details).

What you want more compression?? :lol:

Only an issue to the people that don't own one. I have an Optio 550 the first thing that came out on it was that you can drop down a level and get almost as good pictures.

I print at 8x10 with this camera without issue (other than I would like more pixels for cropping), most of the users print at 4x6 the compression is only a "geek" issue. Compare Steve's "school" pictures from the Panasonic FZ10 with the 6490. The differences in picture quality is below the lens quality (IMHO). Look at the beach vollyball pictures and notice the sand on the girls back.

I have seen more JPEG effects in pictures of the sky done by 300Ds.

2.- Possible RAW Mode

Yep I would like it but do you really want it knowing that Kodak will require you to install a new "RAW" enhanced version of their software. :roll:

3.- Fast Forward and Rewind when viewing videos

Not an issue I use my camera for pictures not videos. There are too many ways I would want the video improved to make it more than a cute feature.

4.- Maybe manual focus???

Yep nice but will also require an enhanced viewing (display zoom) feature. Look at the other cameras and realize that the way most (non DSLR) people focus manually is to focus and move the camera in and out until focused. We can already do that.

5.- A feature you configure for taking pictures each X Minutes

Have that feature on two other cameras. Used it once and never again. May not even be possible. The 6490 can sleep but can the processor wake itself up based upon a clock event ? It has two sleep modes (one that comes to life on any button press and one that requires you cycle the power) how much power will it require in standby?

6.- Selectable Iso sensibility through the jog dial

Why ? .. Most of us only use 64 and 100 with occasional going to 200. If you want that feature set it to 100 and use EV +/-

------------------------------------------------
So if after all that Kodak does decide to do it what would I like (and yes I would pay a reasonable fee for these features).

Ability to set my own startup screen... This allows you to put your name and phone # so if it is lost it can be returned (or at least make the person that finds it feel guilty).

Framing marks on the display for various aspects (4x6, 5x7, 8x10)

Set a beep when the picture count gets below a predetermined number.

Don't blank the display between pictures (the only "genuine" bug in the 6490).

Voice recording attached to pictures.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Kodak did a heck of a job with the 6490 and I hope they will continue it and give us a 6mp or 8mp version (with a swing out screen).
--------------------------------------------------------------
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 3:35 AM   #4

Default Re: Petition kodak to release a 6490 firmware update...

Quote:

The Easyshare program does let you adjust the compression ( the default is one notch from best / largest)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 8:29 AM   #5

I put only that I would like to see a remote offered with this cam,,,,why,,,,because that is the only thing I "wished" it could have,,,,otherwise I purchased this cam the way we have it for a reason,,,it works perfectly,,,the way I like it,,,,everytime...for the money I would like to see another cam measure up to it`s ease of use,beautifull lense,and color reproduction,,,,a three year old could take decent pictures with this cam due to it`s user friendly programing,,,,,I don`t want a cam that you need to take a course on to use,,,If I wanted that I would have purchased a DSLR,,,,

I`ve been to a lot of forums,,,they all praise the DX6490 for what it`s worth,,,they also have a wish list,,,but if all the extras everyone wanted was included would you pay the extra 200.00 over the price you paid for it when you first bought this camera,,,,,or would you think that was too much considering it`s a 4 meg camera.....most people would then complain that they want 5 or 6 megs....

Kodak will not change this programming now,,,,they are selling to well to make that mistake...if they did some people would think that there was a BIG problem with the cam...

There is No problem with the cam with the specs it was sold with ! ! !

A happy,proud,DX6490 lover...... Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 3:44 PM   #6

Default wow

You wrote too much about this... i only asked you for making an "OPEN" list of petitions... I don't want to know what do you think about my petitions and i'm not going to judge any of the petitions there could be... I love my 6490, but in my opinion those were things I'd like them fix or add in a firmware update... I'm not saying I need all those things, but i'd like them to be implemented.

And I DO NOT want more compression, I want LESS, or NO-compression options, i'm a graphical designer, and sometimes i NEED completely uncompressed pictures...

And answering to cold snail I meant the cam's jpg compressing quality, not the quality of the mail-sent pictures...
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:25 PM   #7

Default Re: wow

Quote:

And answering to cold snail I meant the cam's jpg compressing quality, not the quality of the mail-sent pictures...
My mistake, it's been quite a while since I dumped the Easyshare program out of my pc, I've tried to put that nasty experience behind me.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:52 PM   #8

Being able to ZOOM while in Video Mode. I miss this feature from my Sony DSC-S50 Camera.
camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:17 PM   #9

It is interesting. I have seen several threads about this issue, camera makers releasing firmware updates to add new features. Cameras are not like computers where you can pretty much do whatever you wish. With a camera you purchase a device with a specific set of features and specifications. If you don't like it or if it doesn't suit your needs you select a different model. These companies are in the business of selling cameras, not doing firmware updates for cameras that don't have any kind of problem at all. A firmware update for a bug fix is a good thing but I don't think camera companies should ever release a firmware update unless it is to fix something that is broken.

Do you want a firmware update for your cell phone? Your VCR? Your car? Your microwave? Your film camera? I don't think so.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 5:35 AM   #10

i join to this petition.
i'm thinking buying this camera but it makes jpg compression excessive.

it must have 2 compression levels at least.

Bye
jiuman is offline   Reply With Quote