Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

View Poll Results: Do you have this blurry problem? Do you have to use a tripod to take good, sharp, clear pics with yo
Yes! - Takes blurry pics unless I use a tripod :-( 0 0%
No! - Something you are doing is wrong. You should be able to get good, clean, clear and sharp pics just holding it and taking pics. 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:23 PM   #11

I'd love to see the EXIF (exposure information) for your 'awful' pictures - that would tell a lot.

A few reasons for blurring-
Shutter speed - the slower the shutter speed, the more likely it'll blur due to your movement. I expect some shake at any shutter longer than 1/30 - 1/60 is my preference. If you're shooting at 1/8, you're going to get shake, no matter what camera.

Aperture- this sets your depth of field for focus. That shot you took was pretty close to the vehicle (truck?) - if you want to keep both the foreground and top of the truck in focus, you need a large depth of field (DOF). To do that, you need a small (low number) aperture. For a shot like yours, where you want to focus on the near ground (running board) maybe 3 feet away, and the roof (probably 6-7 feet away), that's a big difference - try for 2.8 or 3.2, max.

Autofocus - Pay close attention to what the autofocus is focusing on. Just don't assume the camera sees what you see. I would try and focus on something in the middle, depth-wise- for example- the bottom of the seat-back. Push the button half-way, and make sure the focus brackets center on the seat back. While still holding the button half-down, move the camera to re-frame the shot the way you want. I like using the center-zone autofocus setting - available only in PASM mode. In Auto mode, it uses the multi-field zones, and in a complex shot like you're taking, the camera is just guessing.

To get a fast shutter speed and small aperature, you need lots of light. Yes, it seems like the place was brightly lit, but human eyes are pretty good in low light conditions - the camera isn't nearly as sensitive.

Of course, the more you zoom, the harder it is to keep steady. That's because the slightest movement of the camera is amplified by the zoom factor. Also when zoomed, you are forced to a larger aperature.

My recommendations - stick in PASM mode. Try and keep the aperature (A) as small as possible - 2.8 or 3.2, and keep the shutter speed at least at 1/30, 1/60 is preferable. If it must be slower, steady your hand against something - a knee, post, wall, whatever. Also in PASM, use spot- or center-weighting on the exposure. With a wide variation in light (bright ceiling lights or bright sky, dark car interior) the Multi-pattern exposure setting picks something in the middle - the worst of both worlds. Sacrifice the sky to get the car interior.

As to the problem with multiple shots - I can't say. If you're in multi-shot mode, it should fire six shots off if you keep the button down. It will stop if it runs out of memory on the card. Also, the camera has a buffer memory. If you take six shots, then try to do it again before the buffer has cleared out, the camera will take quite a while to take the next six - it may take a couple, filling the buffer (four from the first burst still being processed), and then pause because it's got no place to put the shots. It can take 20 seconds to process a burst of six. If the card icon in the display is flashing, then the camera is writing to the card, and the buffer isn't empty.

Also, if you're shooting at a very slow shutter speed, it won't shoot any faster than the shutter speed. But I doubt that's the problem.

If the card icon (upper right-hand corner) isn't flashing, and you can't shoot a burst of six, then there's a problem with the camera.

Good luck!
AriN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:53 PM   #12

These were taken handheld at a indoor car show about a month ago without flash.

Taken at 1/23 f2.8 no exposure comp

Taken at 1/6 f2.8 +0.7

Taken at 1/10 f2.8 no exp comp

And just to prove it's not just you, look at the guy at the back of the mini
1/16 f2.8 no exp comp

I'm getting a monopod for these indoor shows just to be on the safe side.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 6:41 PM   #13

What do you use to resize your pics????? I use Corel draw and it wants to know how many dpi.....

How do you resize them they look good..
zx12richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12richard
What do you use to resize your pics????? I use Corel draw and it wants to know how many dpi.....

How do you resize them they look good..
If it's asking for dpi you are resizing for print, totally different thing. I use Photoshop, ACDSee, and/or Thumbs Plus.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:27 PM   #15

I asume the question was pointed at me.
I use Paint Shop Pro 8 but any good program will let you resize.
Do yourself a favour and dump the Easyshare program and try a demo version of Photoshop Elements for free at

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp#product=40

This is a great starting point.
Good luck.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:28 PM   #16

In Corel it asks when you close the file what DPI you want to save...

Same thing when you resize a pic when you go to save it it asks what DPI...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12richard
In Corel it asks when you close the file what DPI you want to save...

Same thing when you resize a pic when you go to save it it asks what DPI...
Which is a printing term. DPI (dots per inch) is the term used for printing at a specific amount of dots per inch (standard is 300). The only time dpi will make a difference is when actually printing.

Electronic images on the other hand use PPI (pixels per inch) for which the standard is 72. Almost all mainstream image software (including your camera software) uses the 72 PPI as a standard for image size.

Corel is trying to speak apples while you need oranges. Change the program you are using.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:01 PM   #18

I've just seen one of the pictures you uploaded, and i think your problem is the shutter speed you use... you should use at least 1/30 secs, probably you'll have to choose a higher iso sensivity, or maybe you should turn of your cellphone's vibrator...
ozono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:15 PM   #19

Thanxxx for the replys guys.... What do you recommend for resampling an image???? This is what I deal with when I resample.... ACDSEE????
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:22 PM   #20

switch over the measurements to pixels.....and make them around 800x600 or 640x480
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote