Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

View Poll Results: Do you have this blurry problem? Do you have to use a tripod to take good, sharp, clear pics with yo
Yes! - Takes blurry pics unless I use a tripod :-( 0 0%
No! - Something you are doing is wrong. You should be able to get good, clean, clear and sharp pics just holding it and taking pics. 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:22 AM   #1

Default Kodak 6490 Camera Users - HELP!

I would VERY much appreciate it if those of you who own and use the Kodak 6490 Camera could help me out.

1. The Burst feature that should take 6 pics (3 per second as per what the manual says) however it usually will take 1 or 2, something 3 or 4 pictures at a time and very rarely takes all 6 at once. I press and hold the button down all the way and don't release it or move my finger at all. Why won't it take all 6 pics? I don't move the camera as well either.

2. I have a MAJOR problem with BLURRY images. I purchased it for over $800 Canadian over 3 months ago and I believe it is an AMAZING camera however I have yet to understand how to properly use it because all I get it blurry images no matter what I do.

I attend car shows and take pictures of the vehicles and can't get the camera to take good, sharp quality pictures. 80% of the time they LOOK sharp on the viewer (either viewfinder or the LCD screen only to discover they are USELESS when I view them on the computer full size. I have tried all types of settings and just can't seem to figure out what I need to do to fix this. I cannot see this camera REQUIRING a TRIPOD for each and EVERY time you take a picture.

I attended a local car show today and took over 450 pictures, out of them, perhaps 50 or so came out. The rest of the pictures were blurry. http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_awful/ ALL of these were taken with the size quality of " ** Better"

I realize that the slightest camera shake would cause this however just pushing the shutter button SLOWLY and VERY CAREFULLY is enough to apparently shake the camera.

Like I said, I cannot see you buying an $800 camera and having to use the TRIPOD for each and every picture just to prevent it from being blurry. I even had it rest on the ground with it set on TIMER (that way I do not have any possibility of camera shake since the camera would take the picture on its own without me having to touch it) and at times it too came out with unsharpen edges. I tried the Landscape feature, Camera mode, Pasm mode, Sport Mode, Night Mode, and even Portrait Mode and they all seem to result it unsharp, unclear images. I was watching others with VERY less expensive digital camera's taking pictures and walking away without any problems. Heck, even those with camera-phones were having no problems where as me with the $800 Kodak's TOP OF THE LINE camera is having nothing but problems.

I will be attending another car show but this is rediculous if I have to set the camera on a tripod anytime I want to take a picture. Obviously this is not right and there is SOMETHING I am doing wrong but I don't know what that can be.

Let's see for example I want to take a picture of a car at the show. What settings would I use? Do I HAVE to use a tripod?

I had a CHEAPER ($400+ cdn) Sony-DSC Cybershot S50 (2.1 Megapixels) http://www.steves-digicams.com/s50.html and I had NEVER had ANY blurry issues with that camera like I do with this one, this one that costs TWICE as much!

So if you own this camera and can help, please I would very much appreciate any and all help anyone here can share with me.

Thank you VERY much for your help.
camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:33 AM   #2

My guess is your not holding the button down half way and letting it focus... Unless its a green light not going to be good pic....

Is this on auto general pictures???? Maybe it needed some filler light also to focus...
zx12richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12richard
My guess is your not holding the button down half way and letting it focus... Unless its a green light not going to be good pic....

Is this on auto general pictures???? Maybe it needed some filler light also to focus...
I always press the button half way untill is shows green, and then press it the rest of the way to the bottom.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12richard

Auto yes.. I even tried all the other modes..

http://www.camarosource.ca/car_show_awful/100_1418.JPG Is a completely still image and look how it came out. Looked ok on the LCD screen but that is what it took.

That particular one was set on Portrait mode, I put the camera on a the structure platform, set timer on, clicked shutter button and left the camera. The camera then took the picture when it counted down. This meant I had no way of having any kind of camera shake as the camera took the picture and it was steady on the ground.. Yet it looks like it's shaking around... I don't understand. Obviously it is NOT the camera and is something I am not doing right because the reviews on this camera are amazing and people all over this board is praising it and it's GREAT pictures they have taken with it.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:48 AM   #5

This pic I took of my kitty.. The compression is from the sever I have hosting but its a clear picture... Either something is not quite right with camera or missing a little something....

Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:51 AM   #6

This is one I took of my bike... Again the compression is server related... I upload it they compress it.. Its a free server... I took this one with zoom from at least 60 feet away....
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:56 AM   #7

Are all these just the default General Camera mode? (Green Camera Icon)? Any specific settings you use?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:01 AM   #8

Could it have been the BRIGHT lights in the car show? This was indoors and was VERY Bright. I used the Exposure composition to "1" or "2" as the pictures didn't want to come out bright enough even with the bright lights in the stadium dome (where the auto show was held).. Could this have lead to the blurry pics?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:05 AM   #9

I also have the flash on most of the time as it was coming out somewhat dark (least on the LCD it was).

So my conditions were:

* BRIGHTLY Lit indoor autoshow, BRIGHT Lights everywhere.

* Using between Normal Camera Mode and Portrait (Portrait seemed to come out better but again that is what I thought by looking at the LCD screen.

* The Exposure was set to 1 or 2 (mostly 2 [MAX]) as it looked the best for brightness on the LCD screen.

Anything I was doing wrong with the camera settings in this situation of lighting and settings?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:37 AM   #10

With all you just said I can't see why they didn't turn out.... Beats me on that... I am new to the camera still myself... Maybe an expert will come in... Sounds like a camera issue to me but I AM NOT and expert.. Good luck..