Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:47 PM   #1

Default Can I Uninstall The Kodak Software and Still Use The Dock??

Can I still use the photo dock that came with my DX 6490 camera to transfer pics from my camera to the hard drive without installing the easy share software? I want to be able to just download the pics directly to my pictures file on my hard drive with out having to go through the easy share software. I have a card reader on my epson printer that shows up as any F: drive, but my camera does not show up as a seperate drive. I have Adobe Photo Shop Elements so I don't really care about the easy share software, other than I still want to be able to download pics by just hitting the button on my dock. What do you guys use to do this?

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2

Default yes, but...

Install only the camera connection software from a custom install, that will install the drivers and the installable file system.

from there you are on your own for transferring the pictures as the CCS does not have the transfer portion of the software in it, only the drivers.
bill@kodakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 4:06 PM   #3

What is the CCS? And if I do this, will it just pop up the little transfering pics thing and then put the pics directly into "my pics" folder? Also, will this show the camera as a removable drive, like say an F: drive, because right now it does not do this and I would like it to. I am running windows XP professinal. I love this camera, but the kodak software can not do much compared to Elements. I just hate how the kodak software try's to take over everything when i up load pictures.

Jake
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:26 AM   #4

CCS is the "Camera Connectoin Software"

It's the driver and the installable file system. when you connect the camera you get the camera to show up in the explorer as a drive, nothing more. The transfer part of EasyShare is part of the core application and is not installable separately.

If you completely uninstall EasyShare, then do a custom install you should be able to get CCS only.
bill@kodakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:14 PM   #5

I use Photoshop album and once i uninstalled the software I just hit the tranfer button and then use album to transfer the photos.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX6490
I use Photoshop album and once i uninstalled the software I just hit the tranfer button and then use album to transfer the photos.
So you don't have any of the kodak drivers on your computer at all? I planned on getting the Elements/album bundle when my trial download ends. does your album software come with the driver that you need to make the transfer from camera to computer, or did you do the custom install with the kodak software and just install the drivers?

Jake