Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:42 AM   #1

Default Please help me decide which camera to buy Kodak/Sony

Hi

I am confused between Kodak 7630 and a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T1. If both cost me appx same, (The Sony is actually $50 costlier, but never mind!), which one should I buy.
Adding to the confusion is that there r no reviews on Kodak DX7630. Also the Sony gives 30fps videos compared to 24fps in the Kodak.
And of course it is a Sony!!!
But Kodak has 6.3 MP compared to 5MP in the Sony.

Please help me!!

//PB
pandabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:44 PM   #2

Steve is supposed to have an excellent review on the new Kodak here,,Go to the front page and look under reviews...

Kodaks have excellent color and low light focusing,,,i could go on for hours about my DX6490,,,i love it..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:22 AM   #3

Thanks Brian,

I read the Steve Review, but he does not mention anything abt the video. Agreed, its main job is to take still pics which it does with excellence, but I would like it to have excellent videp as well. Well I really dont know whether 320 x 240 at 24 fps and 640 x 480 at 30fps make a huge difference in video outpt quality. But I am an amateur, in the sense this is my first major camera, all the remaining ones being akin to disposable point and shoot! Thats y i am asking for advice from the experts!
Thanks for the reply!

Rgds,
Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:29 AM   #4

640 x 480 will make a large difference in the video quality,,,if you are looking for video quality then get the sony......

But I bought a DC for taking pics,,,not to replace a video camera..

Brian
Old May 16, 2004, 5:22 PM   #5

Thanks Brian,

I bought the Kodak DX7630, and have no regrets.. Takes beautiful photos :|, but its bulky, but it does its job... Cool!!!

Thanks againfor ur suggestions

Regards

PB
Old May 16, 2004, 7:08 PM   #6

Glad to hear you like your Kodak,,,post some pics here sometime,,it`s easy,,,my DX6490 is bulky too,,,but with a 10X lense,,,it`s not going to be small,,,,

Here`s a pic i took today near Cape EnRage ,New Brunswick,Canada,,,,it was heavily overcast and actually raining a little,almost at full zoom,,,317 mm ,,,i was hoping for clear skies to get some really nice shots,,,oh well,,,that`s spring here i quess..this was taken in the lowest (one star) mode,,,,that`s what happens when you sell things on e-bay and forget to reset the DC to best setting,,,oh well,,i remembered later..

Enjoy your DC and take lots of pics..

Brian.
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2004, 9:03 PM   #7

I'd buy the Kodak if I were looking for a camera to take pictures with. I own a Fuji S5000 and an older Sony Mavica Mvc FD91; I only recently got the Fuji. I was looking at it and at the Kodak 6490, which is a fabulous camera, but it came down to not being able to manual focus the 6490, which is why I picked up the Fuji, and I'm really happy with it. However, as someone who shopped pretty much everything out there before I made a purchase, and I have to say that I think Kodak and Fuji are far ahead of everything out there in terms of color, I was blown away with both of them, and I thought they were far better than the Sony cameras I looked at. Maybe I'm biased, but I do own a Sony, so I am not an anti-Sony person. My neice and her fiance' just got a 4.0 megapixel Kodak (I don't recall the model # off the top of my head, but it's a point and shoot, not at all like the 6490) and it takes wonderful pictures too.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote