Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Kat

Default 6490 without a dock?

I've noticed that the 6490 is now being listed without the dock. How do you recharge the battery? Does a cable come instead of the dock? Is this system better or easier than having the dock? I do like the dock-less lower price Is the printer dock worth consideration? Does it print good quality?
Thanks,
Kat
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:38 PM   #2

If you just get the camera you will need a battery charger.

I bought both Camera and dock. The price difference was
$50.00 CDN.

I find the dock extremely easy. Transfers the pictures in
a flash, and charges the battery.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 2:05 PM   #3

In the UK we don't get the dock with the camera but get a battery charger with two slot-in plugs. (for our three pin setup and a two pin for other countries.)
Also we get a USB connector to transfer pictures to our pc's but I use a card reader anyway.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:57 AM   #4

In the US and Canada the DX6490 camera should always be packaged with the dock. This is how they come bundled from Kodak and are intended to be sold. In other regions it is bundled with a battery charger instead of the Dock.

Hope this helps.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5

At Henry's (in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) they do have one
which is just the camera. They had 2. One with dock, which I bought, and one without the dock (in a box and everything).
Not sure what comes with it though. Anyway the one without the dock is the $50.00 lower difference I mentioned before.

They sill have it, according to their web site.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:12 PM   #6
Kat

Default Dell has it without dock

Dell is selling the 6490 for 399.00 without a dock. I did find the specs that list a battery charger coming with the camera. So should I get this then get printer dock? Does the printer dock give quality results? Is the expense of replacing paper and ink cost foolish?
Kat
Old May 5, 2004, 9:29 PM   #7

i just recieved the dx 6490 from dell for $399.00 and it does not have the dock.

is dell removing the dock, or are they not selling usa based goods?

please advise

maprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 6:41 PM   #8
Kat

I bought my 6490 at Walmart, and it does not have a dock. It has the rapid battery charger included instead. I'm very happy with this arrangement. Much greater travel-ability and I can apply the saved $$$ toward the printer dock or other printer. It's win-win IMO.

Kat
Old May 25, 2004, 11:09 PM   #9

I bought my 6490 on Dell's site for 339.00 plus free shipping and no dock came with it. But a neat small charger came with it and the top for a dock if I care to buy a dock. I am not interested in carrying all that around. cables and other things came with it.

Dell lost my first camera and so they gave me a 50.00 more credit off my camera. Now I have a brand new not refurbished 6490 for 289.00 no tax either. If I order it from Circuit City or Best Buy on line they add sales tax.
butcherbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:20 AM   #10

Actually, Kodak changed the setup.

Many buyers complained about having to buy the dock, so Kodak reintroduced the 6490 with the battery charger instead of the dock for the MSRP of 399.99. They then lowered the price of the 6000 dock to 79.00. Personally, I prefer the chargersetup better. I think the docks are just a waste of time and space. If you are using WinXP, when you plug the USB cable in, XP sees it as another Disk Drive with photo/video capabilities and treats it that way. Very simple and sweet.

A VERY good source I know at Kodak says there is a NEW printer/dock coming out later this summer designed especially for the 6000/7000 series cameras and it should be less than $100.00, However, knowing Kodak tendency to procrastinate, I will take a wait and see on this.

bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote