Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

View Poll Results: Prefer DX6490 or Z2?
DX6490 16 84.21%
Z2 2 10.53%
None 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21, 2004, 11:38 AM   #11

A lot of us use various forums for help andtips but you can find a lot of us here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1011

It's a little more active at the moment.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 7:27 PM   #12

I'd like to add one more thought here.

One of the 6490's power-saving features is that it turns off the EVF or LCD if there's "no activity" for 60 seconds. Unfortunately, it will do this while you're holding the shutter button halfway down. This effectively limits the duration of focus lock to 60 seconds, and I find that very frustrating and discouraging.

I don't really care about manual focus. I would rather have it than not, but I have yet to see a non-SLR digital camera on which manual focus is very usable. Without a focusing aid like a split-image screen, manual focus is just too iffy for my taste.

But the ability to lock focus and hold it, for any number of minutes of any number of shots, is basic. How difficult would it have been to include this? Half-press the shutter and push the "joystick" up and the exposure is locked until you switch modes or change the zoom. But I suppose Kodak's research tells them that many customers are intimidated by having too many options available, even though they are not required to use them.

Okay, I had decided I could live without that in order to enjoy this otherwise great camera. But now it turns out that even the half-press focus/exposure lock only works for one minute. I'm beginning to wonder if I made the wrong choice.

It does seem to me that this is something that's legitimately broken, faulty... just plain wrong. Something Kodak should feel obligated to fix. A half-pressed shutter button should not be considered "no activity". And maybe if they fixed this, they'd address some of the other firmware issues at the same time.

But probably only a few of the people who use this camera will be concerned, so there's not much chance of anything happening. I'm not going to hold my breath.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:00 AM   #13

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
Freddy,,i think your poll speaks for itself...if you have a direct question you need answered then ask us,,,i don`t own a minolta and don`t intend on buying one..

Brian
Brian, thanks for your answer, but if you go to another forums of Konica Minolta, the same topic, but the poll is different... please visit http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20for details...

Fredy
Fredy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 1:11 AM   #14

Yup,,,,,,sounds about right,,,if you go to Canon they`ll tell you that the Canon is the best,,,if you go to Fuji they`ll tell you that the s5000 or whatever they like is the best....

What do you expect,,,that`s what they/we bought,,,so it only goes without saying we like our choise,,,,otherwise we`d have purchased something else...

The best advise is to hold the DC you want to buy,see if it feels good,made well,,look at sample pics,,,check out the ease of use,,,options,,,etc.....

I`m personally getting tired of people asking whick camera is best between 2 brands,,,how would we know,,,we`ve only got one brand..

If you want to know what the differences are then read the reviews Steve has posted...

By the time you make up your mind another DC will be out and you`ll be asking the same questions all over again...

Make up your mind,,,,you are the only one that can,,,read the threads here and at Minolta,,,and go buy one,,,,,,you are missing out on taking pics while i`m taking some,,,,,i made my choise,,,i`m happy with my choise..

Some people never make the choise and get left behind,,,,so which is it,,,,

Kodak,,,,,,,or Minolta

Let us or the fellows at theMinolta forum know..

It`s been a month since you asked this,,,how long are you willing to wait,,,the DX7590 will be out soon and you`ll be right in this same spot again

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 9:10 AM   #15

I think that any camera/car/bike/tv/computer/hi-fi/dvd player/microwavewill have someadvantages in featuresover other brands and some disadvantages.

The way technology is moving now these things are obsolete before they are even launched.

I agree with Brian, just get any one, enjoy it for a while then replace when you want to. (think of the pictures that could have been taken in this time)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Paul.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:08 AM   #16

Thank Paul and Brian. I finally selected 6490 and I really enjoy it now.
Fredy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:03 AM   #17

Glad you are enjoying it Freddy,,,but man you took long long enough,,,lol,,,post some pics will you...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote