Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1

Default ZX6330 opinions?

Hi all,

My mother-in-law is looking to purchase a digital camera as a gift. She says that Consumer Reports gave high marks to the EasyShare DX6330, but she wants my advice.

I own a Canon Powershot G5, and I have limited experience with the Kodak line. My mom has a lesser Easyshare (model unknown), but I think that her problems with it all revolve around the low resolution, rather than the camera itself. I have read this site's review of the 6330, and it seems to be generally positive. My concern is that with as fast as things change, that the review may be outdated, in regards to whether it is a good value, etc. Are there other Kodaks in the line now that you would recommend instead, without breaking the bank. I don't have a specific price range, but I am guessing that it shouldn't be much more than the 6330 retails for now.

Thanks, in advance.

Nathan
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:42 PM   #2

The cx6330 is a good DC,,,IT HAS 3.1 MEGAPIXELS AND A 3x LENSE,,,,FOR THE PRICE IT`S HARD TO BEAT...

But,,,for another 100 bucks,,,the dx6440 is a GREAT DC,,it has 4.1 megapixels,and a 4X Schneider lense,,,it also has low light focusing which is important,,,,

I think you can get the DX6440 for about 100 more with the dock too,,,which is really nice...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:00 PM   #3

Default Thank you

Thank you for your input. That is pretty much what I told her. This week's OfficeMax ad shows them at $199 and $349, respectively, but the 6440 does come with the dock. And there is a $50 of $250 coupon for OfficeMax, so that helps, too.

I know that we could find better prices online, but she seems to want to buy it locally. I also see that the DX4530 is $299 at Office Depot, and the Dock costs $49. Anyone know how this one fits into the mix?

Nathan
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:47 PM   #4

The 4530 is a 5meg DC,,,but it only has 3X optical zoom,,,

I would put the money on a 6440 I think,unless you think this may be too expensive/overkill for her needs,,,the Schneider lense is like gold in the bank (my 6490 has a Schneider lense too),,,and the 4X optical is nice..

Unless you are going to do a lot of cropping or posters the 6440 would probably suit her/him better..

When you buy a DC the first,,,most important thing to look at is the lense,,,,no offense to the other DC`s mentioned,,,they have good lenses too,,,,,but the Schneider lense is just better in quality..

All the megapixels in the world can`t make up for poor optical quality,,,always spend your bucks on the lense,,,,they won`t spend all that time engineering a lense like that and not put in the electronics to use it,,,this is of course my opinion....

When I went looking ,,,,a short time ago,,,after selling 2 SLR cameras ,,,11 lenses,,,14 or so filters,,etc,etc,etc,,,, The first thing I looked at was the lense quality,,,then I went looking for the zoom,meg count ,,ease of use,,,color reproduction,low light focusing,etc,,,,Kodak seems to be the only DC I could find for the money I spent,,,that was in the ball-park,,,,

If she/he does any in-door photo`s the low light focusing is a must,,,ecspecially for an older person/amateur who will have no patience for a DC that red lights or hunts all night trying to focus,,,they`ll just come to the assumption that the cam is junk,,,,and probably tell you it works fine and put it in the closet..

Anything I can answer for you just let me know,,,I`m no pro,,,,,but i`ve been arround awhile,,,and still learning..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote