Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:50 AM   #1

Default DX6490: settings for best detail?

Hi all,

Having read about the camera's agressive jpeg compression, I was wondering if playing with the settings has an effect on the compression or detail. I am specifically thinking of the sharpness settings (sharp vs standard) and the color settings (saturated vs neutral); Best picture quality is of course assumed.
Also, would it be better to use the digital zoom or to crop/enlarge the picture taken with the optical zoom? My assumption is that some detail that might be lost due to jpeg compression could be saved by using the digital zoom (jpeg compression would have less detail to remove in the resized digital zoom picture?). Does it make any sense?

jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:02 AM   #2

It`s far better to take the image at 100% optical,,,then crop in a photo editing program like Photoshop Elements 2.0..

Digital zoom will degrade the detail more than the cropping/enlarging..

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
It`s far better to take the image at 100% optical,,,then crop in a photo editing program like Photoshop Elements 2.0..

Digital zoom will degrade the detail more than the cropping/enlarging..

Brian
why is that?

It also makes sense to me that if you are planning on blowing up an image anyways you may as well use the digital zoom rather than zoom in on an image that already has some detail lost due to commpression.

rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 5:55 PM   #4

According to a lot of people i`ve talked to on this the image will have more detail if done after,,in a decent program like PSE2,or others.....also you are just magnifying the 10X image when in digital,,,and if you have to crop any you are really going to loose quality,,,i quess what i`m trying to say is you can crop/enlarge more acurately on your computer screen then in the field,,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Try this,,,get out your tripod take a pic at 10X,,,,,Then take another at full zoom with full digital zoom,,,then crop the 10X to match in your photo program,,,and see if you notice any difference,,,post the results here so we can see too..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 6:06 PM   #5

ok it does make sense that a program like photoshop might be more accurate at interpolating than the weak processor in the camera. But there is also the issue that the camera is working from raw data whereas photoshop is working from data that has already been compressed and somewhat worsened when the camera saved it as a jpg.

This is another reason I wish there was a raw format option. I guess in the end I should just try your experiment heh.

Thanks for the info...
rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote