Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 2, 2004, 10:22 AM   #1

I want to get a tripod for myKodakDX 6490, but I have to idea what to look for. Here is a couple of tripods I have been looking at. Does anybody know if they are good ones or not? I'm not wanting to spend a bunch of money on one, but at the same time I don't want a piece of junk that is worthless. Here are the links of the ones I've been looking at. http://www.tripods4less.com/detail6306.html and

http://www.wolfes.com/cgi2/CatalogMg...mp;ftr=tripods On this page I'm looking at either the Promaster 6400 Photo Tripod for $89.99 or the Promaster 6200 Photo Tripod for $69.99. What do you guys think of these tripods or any of the other tripods on this site? This store is pretty close to me so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping or anything. Unless you know of a site where I can find them for cheaper. Thanks.

Jake
jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 2:12 PM   #2

Jake...

One thing to keep in mind when buying a tripod for a DX series camera..

If you get one with the quick release platform,,,make sure it`s one that you do not

have to use a screw-driver to remove the platform from the cameraafter you use it,,,the reason is that platform must be removed to dock the camera later,,,and it`s a real pain,,,if it removes without tools it`ll be less of a pain to deal with.

Since the DX6490 is not all that heavy you do not need a super sturdy tripod,,,go for one with really a decent quality head and fairly light so you don`t get tired of carrying it arround..

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 2:25 PM   #3

Is there any that you can recommend to me? I really know nothing about tripods at all. If you looked at the websites I posted up, which one of those tripods looked good and how do I know if they have a good "head" or not? Also, how do I know how to avoid the other problem you was talking about with the quick release feature?

Jake
Old May 2, 2004, 2:36 PM   #4

I ilke the FT 6306 PRO,,,and also the PROMASTER 6400 has nice feet on the bottom of the legs,,,both seem well made,,,,

The only way to find out about the quick release plate needing tools or not is to ask them,,,,it`s not stated in the discription....

Brian
Old May 2, 2004, 2:38 PM   #5

Look for a head that allows at least up-down,side-to-side and ability to turn camera on it`s side,,they usually call this a 3 way head.

Brian
Old May 2, 2004, 2:46 PM   #6

Don't forget to get one with built in spirit levels.

I use a Hama Star 63 which has a 65" working height, three way pan head, two levels and comes with a case. It cost £22 over here and works very wellwithsuch a light camera.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 1:10 PM   #7

Thanks a lot for your reply's. I am going to call about the Promaster 6400 and ask if I have to use tools to remove the platform from the camera. I couldn't find the Hama Star for sell in USA. All the sites that yahoo brought up where in the UK. Thanks again.

Jake