Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 6, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1
kgy

Have been looking at our first purchase in the digital field. We've went back and forth between the Canon S410, Casio Z40 and Kodak 6440. But, yesterday we ran across the 6490 and read up on it and read your posts here as well.

My question is a 2 parter: We found a bundled kit with this camera and a dock and a printer dock. Would we need both? Is one more important than the other? Second, if we wanted to purchase a second battery as backup (everyone says to have one), what would be the best and higest rated battery for this model that we should buy? Thank you
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2004, 5:07 PM   #2

First,,,,the dock is for charging and transfering pics only..

The printer/dock does this and is a 4x6 printer..

If you don`t want to print then just get the camera and dock,,,,having both is useless unless you have 2 computers,,,then you could transfer to either and just print from one,,,,selling the DC with both options sounds more expensive and kind of stupid to me....

Secondly,,,i`d only buy the battery that Kodak makes for this cam,,,it`ll take over 300 pics to a charge and using others may void your warranty,,,i wouldn`t take the chance myself...and you have to decide if you really need the battery when you can take over 300 pics on a charge,,a lot of people i knowthat bought the extra battery have never used it....

Personally i would get the dock and camera only,,,from someone else if needed,,,and get your pics printed either locally or online,,,i`ve found it cheaper to go locally then print myself,,,,you really don`t print that much anyway,,,,,now that you can view them on your monitor,,,,,you`ll find printing too many is a waste as you can only hang up so many before you run out of wall space,,,right,,,,,

And if you don`t use the printer,,the inks will dry up before they run out,,,,so it`s either use it a fair bit,,,,,,and buy supplies,,which are not all that cheap,,,,,,or just get the dock,,,,but if you like prints,the printer/dock does make nice prints at 4X6,,,actually really nice prints,,,

Hope this helps,,,,i love my DX6490,,,takes awsum pics,,,i`ve blown them up to 11X14 and am very happy with the results..

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 5:27 PM   #3
kgy

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

I had a feeling I didn't need both so that's why I asked the question here...let all you pro's tell me the right way to go. Thanks again
kgy is offline   Reply With Quote